Propagating Highbush Blueberries?

brandond(6)May 23, 2009

I just propagated 15 highbush spreading style blueberries. I used the new growth cutting technique. All of my cuttings are around 4 inches long. I dipped them in a hormone powder and placed them in 50/50 peat and perlite. I removed all the leaves but the very top ones. I also placed a large plastic container over the top of the cuttings. Oh and IM using a heating mat set at 75 degrees. My cuttings are also located in a shady spot in my greenhouse. Im hand misting the cuttings twice a day. My question is since the cuttings are in my greenhouse, do I still need the plastic container over the top of them to create humidity. I can always just up the humidity in my GH my pouring water on the floor. I also have an overhead mister If thats recomended. This is my first time propagating and I really want some success with my blueberries and I also did some blackberries and hardy kiwi with the same technique. The bluberries were also placed in small pots that I figured would need to be replaced by fall. If im on the right track jsut let me know. I dont want to mess this deal up. thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
yiorges-z5il

the plastic container will reduce the amount of misting needed but dose need to be removed 2-3 times a day to allow fresh air......suggest removing plastic & continue to mist as before. The overhead mister will also work but have it misting for 10 seconds once a hour....

Bookmark   May 24, 2009 at 4:37PM
madrone(VancIsl BC)

I'd be interested to hear what kind of success rate you have. I had heard from a local garden guru that they don't propagate well and layering was the most successful way of getting more stock. If your method works, then I'd like to give it a go too.

Bookmark   May 25, 2009 at 8:03AM
yiorges-z5il

An area comercial operation uses cuttings to propagate this plant.

Bookmark   May 25, 2009 at 8:09AM
More Discussions
Grafting Black Walnut
Has anyone done this? I'm going to try this spring,...
terrycalhoun
Growing Conifers from cutting.
Hi, I recently took some conifer cuttings ( cedar,...
Joshua Hughes
plant growth regulators
Hi all, just found this web site selling plant growth...
stoker128
Cuttings and Moon Phases
I'm wondering if the moon phases, fruitful or barren...
luvs2plant
Clonex gel turned liquid
When my Clonex gel was about a year old and I went...
jbclem
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™