Propagating Highbush Blueberries?

brandond(6)May 23, 2009

I just propagated 15 highbush spreading style blueberries. I used the new growth cutting technique. All of my cuttings are around 4 inches long. I dipped them in a hormone powder and placed them in 50/50 peat and perlite. I removed all the leaves but the very top ones. I also placed a large plastic container over the top of the cuttings. Oh and IM using a heating mat set at 75 degrees. My cuttings are also located in a shady spot in my greenhouse. Im hand misting the cuttings twice a day. My question is since the cuttings are in my greenhouse, do I still need the plastic container over the top of them to create humidity. I can always just up the humidity in my GH my pouring water on the floor. I also have an overhead mister If thats recomended. This is my first time propagating and I really want some success with my blueberries and I also did some blackberries and hardy kiwi with the same technique. The bluberries were also placed in small pots that I figured would need to be replaced by fall. If im on the right track jsut let me know. I dont want to mess this deal up. thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
yiorges-z5il

the plastic container will reduce the amount of misting needed but dose need to be removed 2-3 times a day to allow fresh air......suggest removing plastic & continue to mist as before. The overhead mister will also work but have it misting for 10 seconds once a hour....

Bookmark   May 24, 2009 at 4:37PM
madrone(VancIsl BC)

I'd be interested to hear what kind of success rate you have. I had heard from a local garden guru that they don't propagate well and layering was the most successful way of getting more stock. If your method works, then I'd like to give it a go too.

Bookmark   May 25, 2009 at 8:03AM
yiorges-z5il

An area comercial operation uses cuttings to propagate this plant.

Bookmark   May 25, 2009 at 8:09AM
More Discussions
Gardenia not layering
About a year ago, I bent one of the branches of my...
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL
Coleus Propagation/Pinching
Hi, Here are my new, first time growing from seeds,...
Cathy Cokley
Growing Conifers from cutting.
Hi, I recently took some conifer cuttings ( cedar,...
Joshua Hughes
If cuttings have been rooting for 3 weeks, is it ok to now put on heat
I took several cutting of differant plants about 3...
tlbean2004
Clonex gel turned liquid
When my Clonex gel was about a year old and I went...
jbclem
Sponsored Products
ViaVolt Plants Fixture Stands for T5 High Output Fluorescent Grow Light Strip
$19.97 | Home Depot
Triple Berry Cake - MULTI COLORS
$40.00 | Horchow
Blueberries Dish Towel
$7.99 | zulily
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Braided Area Rug: Colonial Mills Rugs Blokburst
Home Depot
Paula Deen Signature Enamel on Steel 12-Quart Blueberry Stockpot
Overstock.com
Flavor-it 3-in-1 Beverage System
$29.50 | FRONTGATE
Chelsea Home Holly Loveseat - Denver Black / Flat Suede Graphite / San Francisco
$519.00 | Hayneedle
Paula Deen Signature AAP Blueberry 11-piece Cookware Set
Overstock.com
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™