mist

charlie-iaMay 29, 2014

hi. Im thinking of perhaps using outdoor mist and a sandbed for propagating easy shrubs, mainly potentilla. How many cuttings a year would you need to make for it to be a good investment? I sell perennials at small local farmers markets.
I live in ireland. I can see this method would be great if i lived somewhere arid. Is it so necessary here?
If mist is so great, why does it seem so complicated to get a cheap pump and timer- why isnt everyone at it?

What advantages are there to using outdoor mist? I have large coldframes that are mostly empty this time of year, if used those and hand misted 2x a day would i have good success? Any advantage If i rooted into compost insted of sand?

What percent losses would you expect with mist compared to other methods. Whats next best?
Thanks,
Charlie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9

The best combination for fast rooting of cuttings I have found is 1. a medium with a maximum of air to water such as one heavy with perlite.
2. The ability to maintain root temperature warmer than air temperature, usually with bottom heat, at least 70 F.
3. Maintain high humidity to prevent drying out of the cuttings before they can root. Misting is one way to to do this. The frequency of the mist required will depend on the enclosure, and its ability to maintain the high humidity required. Al

Bookmark   May 30, 2014 at 11:26AM
charlie-ia

thanks al. What do you grow? I guess its pretty warm and dry where you live? Do you do your cuttings under glass? What do you mist with? How many cuttings do you make?
Same questions for anyone else who's reading...
Thanks again, charlie

Bookmark   May 30, 2014 at 5:14PM
Bradybb WA-Zone8

Charlie,
I use a Mist-a-matic that was bought second hand.I built a little frame out of PVC.This supports the misters and is draped over completely with clear poly film.
I also made a version of a propagating box that is shown on Youtube.Here are pictures of mine and a link to the original.
Both the M-a-m and pond fogger way work fairly well.
I grow a lot of Blueberries and first tried putting a baggie over the cuttings with minimal success and it seems that they need more than a couple sprays a day.At least Blueberries do.
I've done other plants too,with both methods.Brady

Here is a link that might be useful: Propagation of Blueberry Cuttings Using Fog

Bookmark   May 31, 2014 at 12:55AM
nil13(z21 L.A., CA (Mt. Washington))

I've wondered about those pond foggers. Do you use distilled water in the tub? Do you circulate the air inside or does it not matter? I've notice the fog from those tends to settle.

Bookmark   May 31, 2014 at 12:11PM
Bradybb WA-Zone8

I use tap water and put a little Hydrogen Peroxide in it to help keep the algae growth away.
The top is lifted about once a day to allow some Carbon Dioxide in.
The vapor does settle on the leaves. Brady

Bookmark   May 31, 2014 at 4:58PM
muscadines978(7, Dalton, Ga.)

My success rate using intermittent mist has drastically gone down over the last few years so I have researched using fog and set up a small unit. I am anxiously waiting to see what success I might have.
With my mist system I have tried all kinds of growing medias, even straight Perlite.

Here is a link that might be useful: Muscadines And More

Bookmark   August 7, 2014 at 6:16AM
More Discussions
Avocado tree from a seed
If I cut the sprout of my avocado tree from the seed,...
ellen1818
Cuttings and Moon Phases
I'm wondering if the moon phases, fruitful or barren...
luvs2plant
Rooting hormone
Hormex is what we always had in the house, but I don't...
zensojourner
How much light for cuttings?
How much light needs a bed for cuttings? If I put some...
loewenzahn
Can/do plants propagated asexually by cutting form taproots ?
Can/do plants propagated asexually by cutting form...
Zoztrog
Sponsored Products
Entourage 789240ST Suspension by Fine Art Lamps
$6,268.50 | Lumens
Blue Lotus Area Rug
FRONTGATE
Centro Mist Square Throw Pillow - Set of Two
$44.99 | zulily
Bronze Finish ADA Compliant Wall Sconce
$59.40 | Lamps Plus
Medallion Mist Rug 7'6" x 10'6" - TAN
$1,799.00 | Horchow