Getting rid of Dodder!

patbruce(zone 5)August 3, 2006

I have a few plants in my greenhouse with dodder (yellow stringy parasite) growing in them. It is vining rapidly and twining around several plants now. Does anyone know how to get rid of this? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Pat

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
watergal(z6/7 Westminster, MD)

From the most recent newsletter at www.carrollgardens.com:

Question: A bright yellow thread-like something has attacked several plants in my garden and appears to have killed them by covering and twining around the stems.

Answer: You have Dodder, a leafless, parasitic, morning glory relative. Dodder is an annual; new plants germinate from seed each spring. If they germinate near a host plant, they will attach themselves to it and extract the carbohydrates from the host. Dodder will bloom with little white blooms and drop seeds for next year's crop. It will sometimes kill the host plant totally.

Every thread of Dodder should be pulled off of the host plant and removed as soon as discovered, preferably before it sets seeds. Once fallen, ripe seed can remain viable in the soil for many years, so it is important to check broadly for several years in areas where Dodder has attacked plants previously. Two inches of shredded hardwood mulch spread upon fallen Dodder seeds will prevent them from germinating.

Bookmark   August 3, 2006 at 10:01AM
PlanterRic(8)

I've heard that, as a parasite, dodder enters the host plant, and can regrow from points of contact. So, it is not sufficient to remove the dodder itself; one is better advised to prune away the parts attacked by dodder and leave the healthy parts of the plant to grow back.

Bookmark   August 7, 2006 at 3:56PM
joefromsd(San Diego)

I've heard the best way is to spray it with a high nitrogen fertilizer. Forget where I heard that, probably on one of the Garden Talk shows I listen to.

Bookmark   August 8, 2006 at 9:02PM
More Discussions
Best wave petunia for hanging baskets???
What do you growers think is the best wave petunia...
Diamond2014
gravel not grass :(
I can not grow grass in my yard! since purchasing...
all your environment
RE: hiring help
I've been the sole gardener at an estate for 15+ years...
dlbk
Landscaper has business in residential neighborhood with HOA
I live in a neighborhood which does not allow you to...
diddlydoo
Ideal careers for a male with a horticultural degree?
I still have a long time to think about this, but it's...
mike758
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™