Source for Wholesale Bulbs

legacyfarm1905(EastTN)August 4, 2005

I want to buy a large quantity (several hundred) of spring bulbs and need to find the best bulbs for the lowest price.

Debbie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
creatrix(z7 VA)

I get a catalogue from these folks for some unknown reason. Their web page doesn't work for me.

Van Bloem Gardens. Aurora, OR.

Bookmark   August 4, 2005 at 7:47PM
Odie99(z7a NJ)

I have used Brent and Beckys Bulbs, http://www.brentandbeckysbulbs.com/
and Simple Pleasures, http://www.simplepleasure.com/
both with good success. The rep from Simple Pleasures is Bill Friedman, 610-692-8668. He will go out of his way to help you out and set up a program for you.

Kirk

Bookmark   August 5, 2005 at 7:12AM
plantcompost

The last 4 years I found the best deal at Walmart and Home Depot. I plant thousands and the box stores are my inventory. I used to order ahead of time and do all the paper work, etc. Store the bulbs and so on. Now I just pick them up in the bulk bags. They are just as cheap (cheaper?) or the cent or 2 difference for a bulb doesn't translate into enough to make a difference.

No quality problems and I'll be doing the same this year. Planting bulk bulbs can be quite a profit maker. The key, I find, is not to get too tied up in selection. Offer the client a range of colors and a few varieties but most folks just want a good display in the Spring. All my clients are pleased and most just leave the bulb selection up to me.

A 10 cent bulb is every bit as good as providing a 50 cent 'specialty' bulb unless the client asks for a specific variety. I do have a couple of clients who are a bit more keen on varieties and Ill work with them on their expectations.

Bookmark   August 17, 2005 at 7:02PM
love_the_yard(z9A Jax FL)
    Bookmark   August 21, 2005 at 8:46PM
viola8(z8)

We've stocked Van Bloem and Simple Pleasures. Highly recommend Simple Pleasures. If you're looking for lots of just a few varieties and truly need the bulk bulbs vs. individual pkgs., you might try Van Engelen Inc.'s wholesale catalog. Have never ordered from them.

Bookmark   August 30, 2005 at 2:53AM
miss_rumphius_rules(z6 NJ)

I use Ednie and Langeveld for basics. Both are based here and offer great service. I used to order from Van Engelen, but found them to be expensive--they do have a great selection.

Bookmark   August 30, 2005 at 5:12PM
PollyNY(z5NY)

My absolute favorite is Ednie. If you can purchase wholesale contact Jeffrey at Ednie, and he will get you out the catalogues. Very wonderful company to work with. Their lily assortment is tremendous. Polly

Bookmark   August 30, 2005 at 10:38PM
happyhoe(z6 OH)

Considering 'Simple Pleasures' is owned by Van Bourgondien, are the simple pleasures better than Van B's typical low quality stock?

Bookmark   September 2, 2005 at 3:06PM
nansgarden(z4)

Colorblends www.colorblends.com and www.netherlandbulb.com both companies have excellent pricing and superb bulbs.

Bookmark   September 5, 2005 at 9:25AM
GreenieBeanie(z9CA)

Just my .02 on Van Bourgondien. I've liked the quality of the tulips I've purchased from them over the last few years. The species bulbs have been a little more iffy, but for tulips, they are my source.

Brent and Becky's is better for species bulbs.

Bookmark   September 15, 2005 at 7:19PM
More Discussions
Design Software
My old company has asked me if I would like to be a...
Kirstin Zone 5a NW Chicago
Advice on Starting a Garden Design and Consultation Business
Yes, I have read many start up advice posts on this...
alexmac13
Fungicide for damping off of food producing plants?
What would be a systemic fungicide that could be used...
ms_minnamouse
Planting Mature Trees
Thanks in advance to anyone who replies. We have been...
justjamplease
wilt pruf sprayed and froze on junipers
Hi all, I have a small garden in New York City. The...
happygardengirl
Sponsored Products
Estiluz | A-2710 Miris Semilunar Wall Sconce
$518.00 | YLighting
Melinda Settee - Artless
$3,680.00 | HORNE
Lite Source Kaelin Flush Mount 21" Chrome Ceiling Light
Lamps Plus
Gray Scalloped Sheet Set - Cal King
Crane and Canopy
Rondelle French Gold Two-Light Amethyst Vintage Crystal Bathroom Light, 21W x 9.
$636.00 | Bellacor
Designers Fountain 83189 Majorca 9 Light Chandelier in oil-rubbed bronze finish
$598.00 | Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™