How do I slip Azaleas?

marymarie2007May 14, 2008

I inherited one Azalea at my nearly new home. Cannot find any similar so instead I would like to multiply it by slips. What's the best way to do it? When?

Any and all advise greatly appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kayjones(Mo6b)

Azalea Cuttings

From the tv show -Rebecca's Garden: Episode REB-635

If you have a beautiful azalea or hydrangea and would like to have more plants, thereÂs no reason why you should go out and spend money. You can actually grow new plants by taking stem cuttings.

Cut the stem on a 45-degree angle just below the leaf node.
To retain moisture, you can put the pot and cutting in a plastic bag, but check the moisture level every day and let it breathe for about 15 minutes.
Once the plant is finished blooming, then you're ready to take a cutting. Remove about four to six inches of a green stem. Half the stem cutting is going to be under soil, so remove all the foliage.

Don't tear it off or you might damage the bark. Instead, use scissors or clippers and just clip off the leaves.
Next, dip the stem into a rooting hormone. Then place it into a small pot, with a mixture of 50 percent perlite to 50 percent soil.

Put the stem about three inches down into the soil. Keep your new stem cutting moist at all times until it's completely rooted, which can take anywhere from four to six weeks.

In no time, your plants will root and you can go ahead and repot them. And within a year, you may be enjoying some beautiful blooms.

Bookmark   May 19, 2008 at 9:54PM
More Discussions
Cuttings and Moon Phases
I'm wondering if the moon phases, fruitful or barren...
luvs2plant
Can Budwood be too small, or thin?
When grafting should I try to obtain close to pencil...
figbear (8b coastal carolina)
Rooting hormone
Hormex is what we always had in the house, but I don't...
zensojourner
Plant Propagation, AHS
American Horticultural Society: Plant Propagation. Most...
Hermitian
Propagating Angel vine???
Is there a secret to starting a cutting from this awesone...
MauiDave
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™