Branch problems ...

cwcervantes(9A / New Orleans)August 5, 2011

Hello everyone! My first plumeria is looking really sad. The leaves and branches are all sagging a lot. It's in a large plastic planter and is outside in full sun. The branches are very top heavy and one hangs completely down (the middle thin branch). Any ideas what I can do? Trim it? Also, I just planted some succulents in the planter and I noticed that the roots are very near the surface, barely covered by soil. Is this normal? Thanks!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jandey1(TX8)

Could be the tree isn't getting enough water; that would make the stems limber. Or it could be that's it's a naturally floppy variety like Aztec Gold.

You can always use green gardener's tape and tie the three branches together at a couple points or to a strong stake. I have a three-tip that was growing too wide so I just tied it in two spots and after the wood hardens the shape will stay in place.

Bookmark   August 5, 2011 at 5:23PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
labland(Inland Valley CA9)

I have one like that right now. I will be trimming it this spring when it is dormant. Trimming should help branching UNLESS it is a floppy one like Jen says, I.e. Aztec Gold.

I will be posting the same question, with a little twist. I can't tell from your picture, but my one plant with long branches, I notice that the branches have gotten thicker on the newer growth. I am curious if tis is because of my fertilizer. We will see what everyone thinks. Good luck. Jennifer

Bookmark   August 5, 2011 at 7:56PM
More Discussions
My Plumeria Tree After NE Flotrida Hard Freeze .
Hello gang; This plumeria has been outside all winter...
edzone9
Siam Red Showing It Is Still Awake...
Hello Everyone!!! I just wanted to post a pic of Siam...
Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
Bayer tree and shrub
Has anyone ever mixed in fertilizer with the Bayer...
rox146
Sally Moragne
Sally Moragne is another that doesn't want to relax...
Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
Bag Rooting
I have a few cuttings that I need to get going and...
plumeriai45
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™