Neighbor Tearing Out Tulip/Poppy/Daffodil Garden!!

mbvirtueMay 2, 2013

Help! Our lovely neighbors are planning to nuke and tear out the flower garden planted by the previous owners...he rototilled and sprayed last fall, but the bulbs all came back up this spring. He's now contracted with a lawn service to come and plant a new lawn, and told me last weekend (April 25th) that I'd be welcome to dig up whatever I wanted to take.
What do I do?? These are bulbs that are about to bloom. Poppies in the back of the bed don't seem to be up yet, but I would really love to take as much of the garden into mine as humanly possible.
Dig it up, lock stock and barrel with as much soil as I can, and hope for the best? Their little boy and dog need a yard to play in, but I'd love to preserve Cheryl's garden for our senior neighbor...she's always called it "her flower garden".
Thanks for any and all advice, I'll have to move on this Saturday, will get pics if I can!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
flora_uk(SW UK 8/9)

You can move bulbs in growth if you are careful. Dig them up and then either immediately replant or pot up but ensure you water copiously.

Bookmark   May 3, 2013 at 1:06PM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL

I would concentrate on the bulbs. If you do try to get some poppies, I would replant them right away, the bulbs could wait a day or two, or even until next weekend if necessary, in total shade preferably so they don't get too dry. Doubtful poppies would survive tilling though. Mature bulbs are tough, as you've seen - they were tilled, sprayed and now about to bloom. Wow. Anything worth the effort to you is all that might be saved, no contest really. Just depends on your time/energy. At least your neighbor is being neighborly about it, that's cool.

Bookmark   May 4, 2013 at 10:04AM
mbvirtue

Thank you both for the advice and encouragement...I now have several buckets and am thinking of cutting the tulip flowers for vases, and letting the greens die back. Perhaps that will give them enough energy for next year?

Bookmark   May 4, 2013 at 7:22PM
flora_uk(SW UK 8/9)

I think the removing the flowers and leaving the leaves to die naturally is probably a good idea. Bulb producers remove the flowers.

Bookmark   May 5, 2013 at 2:53AM
More Discussions
Avocado tree from a seed
If I cut the sprout of my avocado tree from the seed,...
ellen1818
How much light for cuttings?
How much light needs a bed for cuttings? If I put some...
loewenzahn
Rootong Juniperus virginiana cuttings?
I need to root some Eastern Juniper or Eastern "Redcedar"...
treeguy123
Israeli Ruscus from a bouquet
I have six stems of Israeli Ruscus from a bouquet;...
korbine
Germination Chamber
I built this for my wife. The humidity is staying anywhere...
rsteph1000
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™