another seed collecting issue

kuvaszlvrJuly 22, 2012

Weirdest thing, I collected some seeds earlier today from a yellow Peter Pepper. Seeds looked ok, not as nice as I'd like, but they looked passable. Put them out on a towel to dry (I put them in water first to see if they float or sink, most of these sunk). Went by about an hour later and they had turned into little black amorphous bodies. Has anyone ever had this happen? I've never had this happen before.

Pam

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Armageddon

i have had some seeds that dried to fast change a darker color seeds are best slow dried at ideal temps i found its best to let them dry still attached to the pepper with the pepper cut in half slower process

Bookmark   July 22, 2012 at 10:50PM
smokemaster_2007

Most times when seeds turn dark brown or black they weren't ripe enough.
The float test isn't all it's cracked up to be when it comes to certain seeds. :)

Bookmark   July 22, 2012 at 11:21PM
Armageddon

double check to make sure your peter pepper plant is not really a red and the pepper you pulled was not fully ripe . i have some peter pepper reds growing but no pods just yet .

Bookmark   July 23, 2012 at 12:28AM
kuvaszlvr

I wondered about them not being ripe enough.

It's definitely yellow. :-) I have red, yellow and orange. the orange has the most accurate looking fruit. They yellow is just weird looking, but it's covered in yellow fruit. The red and orange are both still covered in green fruit.

Bookmark   July 23, 2012 at 1:32PM
magiccrystal(6)

kuvaszlvr, I've grown the red for the first time this year, expecting these to be very funny. But they weren't, um...true to form. ;-) I'm very curious as to where you got the orange from? I think I would like to try this variety. Would you even have seed to share?

Bookmark   October 4, 2012 at 12:23PM
fusion_power

A mouse ate em and left you an "amorphous" present. :D

DarJones

Bookmark   October 4, 2012 at 1:04PM
kuvaszlvr

magiccrystal, I might have some orange ones to share, still waiting for the 3 to ripen (I can't share the red or yellow as I did not collect seeds because I don't think they were true Peters, they just did not look right). Send me an email with your address and I'll send you some when they are ready.

DarJones... naw... wrong shape. ;-)

Bookmark   October 5, 2012 at 10:30AM
More Discussions
Your Grow List --- 2015
It is getting closer to start the season especially...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
Are you a patron of Padron peppers for tapas?
Or would that be 'tapas (appetizer) de padron a patronis'...
bragu_DSM 5
Hate the new layout
How about you? Usually, I don't care, but this blows. Kevin...
woohooman
Where do you find seeds for different hot peppers?
Is there a special place to order seeds for some of...
goldilocs
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™