Stuck with a Cherry Laurel, can I graft edible prunus on it?

drasaid(zone 8)May 9, 2010

Yes, this is probably an insane question. However, I dislike cherry laurel and I'd rather have something else. So, could I graft a plum on it? Or would the nastyness of Cherry Laurel ruin it? Or would the graft be doomed?

I also have a flowering plum I'd like to graft onto. Anyone have anything good to say about either one of these grafting tools?

http://www.leevalley.com/us/garden/page.aspx?cat=2,47236&p=64798

http://www.amazon.com/A-M-Leonard-Grafting-Tool/dp/B001FA6H4M

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
propman83(5)

In my experience...as long as you are grafting a Plum on a Plum you should be all set and it should graft for you.

Let us know how it works for you...I can't click on those links you offered for the tools.

Bookmark   May 10, 2010 at 12:18PM
ms_minnamouse(7a)

I'm pretty sure if you're grafting a Prunus on a Prunus, it'll take. I'm not sure what you mean by nastyness of the Cherry Laurel but if you mean its tenacious growth habit, that's nothing unusual and shouldn't make a difference. They usually use very tenacious rootstock for grafting less tenacious plants onto, like Rosa multiflora rootstock for cultivated multiflora roses.

Bookmark   May 10, 2010 at 1:35PM
flora_uk(SW UK 8/9)

You could try this question over on the Fruit and Orchards Forum where there are some very experienced grafters. Are you hoping to graft an edible plum onto the cherry laurel? I have no idea if it would work or not but cherry laurel is poisonous in all parts. Don't know if that would make a difference.

Bookmark   May 11, 2010 at 5:43AM
Suzi AKA DesertDance

If you go to You Tube, there are a lot of videos on grafting also. Do a search for fruit tree grafting. There are tons of videos there. I was quite interested in the T-Bud grafting for grape vines. Amazing video and very useful to me at this moment. I accidentally snapped 2 cordons on 2 vines and my vines are lopsided. That is grafting vitus vinifera onto vitus vinifera. Not sure if you can graft plum onto cherry, but they do make those fruit cocktail trees with a few varieties on one trunk, so it's probably possible.

Bookmark   May 11, 2010 at 9:15AM
More Discussions
Can/do plants propagated asexually by cutting form taproots ?
Can/do plants propagated asexually by cutting form...
Zoztrog
Flower buds growing and swelling on callery pear tree cuttings?
i took 12 cuttings of a pretty callery flowering pear...
tlbean2004
Can Budwood be too small, or thin?
When grafting should I try to obtain close to pencil...
figbear (8b coastal carolina)
If cuttings have been rooting for 3 weeks, is it ok to now put on heat
I took several cutting of differant plants about 3...
tlbean2004
Royal Poinciana Tree Grafting (Delonix Regia, Flamboyant)
Anyone out there have any experience grafting the Royal...
nsboyd1210
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™