bud grafting conifers

napapen(ca 15)May 7, 2011

I am considering doing a T bud graft on two different plants. I wondered if anyone has been successful doing this when the plants are growing and the weather warmed up.

I did some grafting this past winter and 1/2 took. However I am trying to create new branches and want to take a bud from the tree and T graft onto the trunk. One is a scotch pine and the other Altas Cedar Glaca.

Let me hear experiences.

Penny

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
yiorges-z5il

Never tried it go ahead & give it a try then let us know the results....if you have good luck will give it a try.

Bookmark   May 14, 2011 at 8:09PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

there is a conifer forum.. where grafting has been covered rather thoroughly since about january.. you will have to search down thru the pages quite a bit ...

grafting is timed for when the roots of the plant become active.. which is usually 6 to 10 weeks BEFORE they break bud ... [and your words.. 'when the plants are growing' .. make me think yours have ...

i have never heard of doing it.. to create new branches.. and i dont know about doing it on large trees .. as most grafting is been done on 2 or 3 year old understock

regardless .. give it a go ... what do you have to lose besides a piece of scion ...

good luck

ken

Bookmark   March 15, 2012 at 8:07AM
More Discussions
Speed up Plant Propagation!
This will not be needed for most plant propagation...
hummersteve
Flower buds growing and swelling on callery pear tree cuttings?
i took 12 cuttings of a pretty callery flowering pear...
tlbean2004
If cuttings have been rooting for 3 weeks, is it ok to now put on heat
I took several cutting of differant plants about 3...
tlbean2004
Apple Tree from seed
Hello knowlegeable people! I have some trees started...
bobcat115
problem with carica papaya seedling survival
Hi I live in a temperate zone, have a large conservatory,...
marcyoung
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™