Cloning Tomatoes During the Growing Season

applebuilder(North Orange County (SoCal))May 16, 2009

Can you propogate tomato plants during the growing season (NOT for indoor winter growing)? What are some of the downsides to cloning (smaller yields, less disease resistant?) and can I use the bottom suckers from my tomato plant? Sorry if I'm reposting an existing thread, but I couldn't find one with the answers I needed. Thanks in advance.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
yiorges-z5il

May propagate during growing season.....
disease resistance NOT aaffected by propagation & the yeald will be smaller since the branch(tip) will be out of production for several weeks & MAY be delayed so the fruit ripen late fall..... yes the bottom suckers may be used...

Bookmark   May 17, 2009 at 9:20PM
agshare(7)

having a fall crop wont matter.most tomatoes dont set fruit above 90 degrees,anyway.when i grew acres of them,we would simply cut back the old growth abt july or when it went over 90 for a week,then continued to water and fertilize and had 2 crops from one planting.if you do cuttings,you'll have abt a 6 week delay on fruiting,same as if you cut back the old plant..cut to abt 2-3 ft from the ground.

Bookmark   May 26, 2009 at 11:01PM
applebuilder(North Orange County (SoCal))

That's a very interesting method, I've never heard of that. So once fruits stop setting due to high temperatures, they won't start setting again (when the temperature goes down) unless you cut them back? Do you think the extra foliage (shade) you get from growing tomatoes on a trellis will allow the fruit to set in high temperatures?

Bookmark   May 31, 2009 at 4:00PM
applebuilder(North Orange County (SoCal))

Actually I see that there are plenty of threads on this topic so I won't make you post it here. Thanks for the advice though, it showed me an important aspect of the tomato growing season that I did not know.

Bookmark   June 1, 2009 at 10:12PM
More Discussions
propagating persimmon with cutting.
i read same subject in this forum and finding that...
bullet08
Fog propagation
I started propagating Muscadine Vines A few years ago....
Muscadines978
grape vine cuttings in summer?
I have to prune some grapevines which are too vigorous....
loewenzahn
Can Budwood be too small, or thin?
When grafting should I try to obtain close to pencil...
figbear (8b coastal carolina)
Growing Conifers from cutting.
Hi, I recently took some conifer cuttings ( cedar,...
Joshua Hughes
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™