Supertunia Petunia Cuttings?

ImaHockeyMom(SW Mich--Zone 5)June 2, 2005

While transplanting some full-size trailing Supertunias today, I managed to knock off quite a few stems with blooms on them.

Is it possible for me to get these to root?

What's the best method? Water in a glass? Oasis / wet florist foam cubes? Potting Mix / Perlite combination? How much of the stem should I put under the medium? Should I take off the blooms and most leaves? How long until they root?

Anyone have any suggestions??? I've just got them sitting in plain water for now -- I was hoping y'all could help me out.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
georgez5il(z5 IL)

Apply 0.1% IBA (rooting hormone) stick in well drained soil & mist takes 7-21 days to root

1 Like    Bookmark   June 2, 2005 at 6:13PM
wish2okc

Funny this topic should come up today. I was mulching around some wave petunias that had been planted for a month or more and discovered that one of the stems had started to root. I had no idea that you could root petunias! George, you are a plant propagation wizard!

Bookmark   June 2, 2005 at 11:04PM
ImaHockeyMom(SW Mich--Zone 5)

georgez5il -- thank you! I'm so glad that I might actually get to have more of these plants!

wishfulthinking -- I learn more new things every day when it comes to gardening.... I'm a newbie and I feel like I'll NEVER learn everything I need to know!

Bookmark   June 3, 2005 at 6:46AM
knockoutrose(7)

Speaking of Supertunia. For two years in a row, one of my "Bubblegum" supertunias has dried up and died withing just a few days. Both times occurred in the window box while it's neighbor Bubblegum did fine. Has anyone experienced this and know the reason why.

Bookmark   June 17, 2009 at 8:42AM
Audrey(z3MN)

ImaHockeyMom...You'll never learn everthing about gardening. That's why it will always be fun! Enjoy, and trust yourself. It only gets better :o)

Bookmark   August 4, 2009 at 2:39PM
More Discussions
Clips or Tape
Hello. I have a question about grafting. Should I use...
tomatoman100
Coleus Propagation/Pinching
Hi, Here are my new, first time growing from seeds,...
Cathy Cokley
Can/do plants propagated asexually by cutting form taproots ?
Can/do plants propagated asexually by cutting form...
Zoztrog
How much light for cuttings?
How much light needs a bed for cuttings? If I put some...
loewenzahn
Cuttings and Moon Phases
I'm wondering if the moon phases, fruitful or barren...
luvs2plant
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™