New Guinea Impatiens cuttings died

kljkgm(Kansas z6)June 22, 2006

From what I've read Impatiens are supposed to be easy to root in water. I took two cuttings yesterday morning and tonight they are completely wilted. They went directly into the water after cutting and I used filtered water. I cut them just below a node and removed most of the leaves. They were about 2 1/2-3 inches in length. How could I have screwed this up?

Leslie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kljkgm(Kansas z6)

I guess I spoke too soon. While I would have bet money that my cuttings were dead they perked up after a couple days.

Bookmark   June 26, 2006 at 11:12AM
sdrawkcab(7)

it can be helpful when you go out to the garden, take a slightly longer cutting than you need. then re-cut the stem in a bowl of water so the scisors/knife doesnt force air bubbles up into the xylem tissue. (trick works well for cut flowers as well) also a humidity dome of some sort (a lot of people use upside down ziplock bags) can help prevent to much moisture loss from the leaves and help curb the wited look. sounds like you are on the right track though. happy propagating.

Bookmark   June 29, 2006 at 1:59PM
elleni(4a)

In case anyone else stumbles on this thread... I also took a bunch of cuttings of my New Guinea Impatiens before this year's first frost. I put them straight in water and they were fine for a couple of days. But then all but one of the 10 steams totally wilted and most of the leaves basically dried up!

I found this thread and even though it had already been longer than the 4 days for Leslie's resurrection, I decided to give it more time. Well over a week later and the few non-crispy leaves were perking up! They are *all* still alive and looking good. Patience pays. Not if I can get them through the Winter.

Bookmark   November 6, 2010 at 2:53PM
More Discussions
Can Budwood be too small, or thin?
When grafting should I try to obtain close to pencil...
figbear (8b coastal carolina)
Rootong Juniperus virginiana cuttings?
I need to root some Eastern Juniper or Eastern "Redcedar"...
treeguy123
Moisture retaining but inert media for layering?
Hi all, Been poking around the garden forums reading...
horti2791
problem with carica papaya seedling survival
Hi I live in a temperate zone, have a large conservatory,...
marcyoung
Clips or Tape
Hello. I have a question about grafting. Should I use...
tomatoman100
Sponsored Products
Area Rug: Casey Gold 5' x 8'
Home Depot
Blindsgalore Signature Drapery Panel: Mod Vine Patterned Jacquard
Blindsgalore
"Lorraine" Stone-Edge Frame
$495.00 | Horchow
Monarch Antique Bronze Five-Light 21-Inch Wall Sconce with Royal Cut Clear Cryst
$760.00 | Bellacor
Safavieh Handmade Tree of Life Slate Blue Wool Rug (4'6 x 6'6 Oval)
Overstock.com
Artemide | Katatsumuri Pendant Light
$865.00 | YLighting
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™