when will they ripen?

andyandy(6bMI)July 14, 2014

I think i ask this every year and get differnt answers. What tells the pod to change color? I have a cayanne with 50-60 pods, a carolina reaper with about 18-20, a ghost with 20 or so, a couple of types of Habs (these are 3 years old, big plants, with doznes and dozens of pods, and a ghost-hab cross (also 3 years old and huge) with dozens of pods. Not one of them has a hint of changing color. Then Friday I bought what was called a "hot-sweet pepper) that was discounted at a local nursery. it had one pepper (about 1/2 the size of a bell pepper and the same shape) that was completely green. I re-potted it Friday night and by Sunday it was turing red. This is the part of the growing seans that drives me crazy, WAITING)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
toolstack

I feel ya, seems like I've been waiting forever lol! I have 4 large Cheyenne pods that are almost all red I don't want to cut them to soon though.
Randal

Bookmark   July 14, 2014 at 4:51PM
pepperchuck(8b coastal MS)

I've been staring at green pods for weeks upon weeks and I'm finally starting to get flushes of color, slow at first but now its becoming a lot. I'm really starting to really see what I planted and realizing why everyone looks at me like I'm crazy when they see my garden. Do I regret any of it, absolutely not, will I do it differently next season, absolutely! Bigger!! haha

But to answer what cues that change.... I have know idea. Its like the watched pot. Peppers are shy.

Bookmark   July 14, 2014 at 7:18PM
seysonn(8a WA/HZ 1)

I think when the fruit (like tomato and pepper) reach a mature size and starts changing color , it does not need any help from the mother plant. If you check the stem, it is almost hard and woody.
The ripening process is an internal change inside the fruit. I have purchased different peppers with a hint of color, let it sit on the counter and they turned beautiful red ( Serrano, Jalapeno, shishito, Gypsy ...). And I have saved seeds from them and have planted and all have germinated. Also, flavor develops while air drying a hot pepper.

Bookmark   July 14, 2014 at 9:29PM
andyandy(6bMI)

I bought a Burpee "Sweet to Spicy) Friday that had one green pepper on it. Re-potted it and now it is almost completely red. One thing the label said that seemed odd id it said it would be more spicy green than red (that said only about 300 on the scoville scale. I'll be eating it in the next day or two and see. other than that everything is still green

Bookmark   July 15, 2014 at 12:48PM
More Discussions
Need A TON of help on bhut jalokias
I'm growing bhut jalokias Carolina reapers and Trinidad...
bigcatcal
Resurrect my Scorpion plant?
So I have a Trinidad Scorpion plant that produced fairly...
newcoyote
Northeast folks - when are you starting seeds?
Boston - planning on 3/1 (next Sunday!)
peps_22
Sprouting leaves on peppers drying
My new leaves are going dark and drying off in most...
tomyres
YELLOW ghost pepper???
We had 4 ghost pepper plants on the deck all summer...
zelicindy
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™