any suggestions to get rid of fire blight?

grdngramma(4)September 16, 2010

So far this one section of my yard has killed 2 elderberry shrubs and is working on the third, a serviceberry tree, a pear tree and now my raspberries are getting black edges and never have done well there. I wondered if I burned the area might help to kill it, or if anyone has suggestions for edible plants/trees/shrubs that would not be affected by fire blight. Just post here, have checked the box to send replies to my email.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nandina(8b)

A complicated subject. Suggest that you do a Google search for - fire blight + host plants. Read through those threads carefully for an understanding of the problem. The easiest solution is to remove those host plants growing in your yard. Hopefully they are not also growing in your neighbors landscapes. It is quite possible that the pear tree is the source of your infection...or, apple, flowering crab, firethorn, hawthorn, cotoneaster, quince, Mountain ash and as noted, pear.

Fire blight is a tough one to control. Much better to bite the bullet and remove the host plant(s) causing the infection.

Bookmark   September 17, 2010 at 3:17PM
More Discussions
Ideal careers for a male with a horticultural degree?
I still have a long time to think about this, but it's...
mike758
Anyone can help with the type of this tree
Hi, Anyone can help with the type of this tree in my...
hamidrm
Starting a small iris nursery
I have been digging thru this forum the last few weeks...
lynnthegardener
Advice on Starting a Garden Design and Consultation Business
Yes, I have read many start up advice posts on this...
alexmac13
Landscaper has business in residential neighborhood with HOA
I live in a neighborhood which does not allow you to...
diddlydoo
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™