misting

aaron7June 6, 2009

Hi i'm a thirteen year old that is interested in making an intermittent mist system, what is the easiest way to make a small one?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
petzold6596(8b southern NM)

Google 'home made intermittent mist systems.' You should get loads of info. Good luck.

Bookmark   June 8, 2009 at 10:27PM
albert_135(Sunset 2 or 3)

Anyone w/Inexpensive Misting System Plans? is a link to a thread on this forum found by Googling for ~ mist misting homemade propa site:gardenweb ~ . There are a few more on this forum.

aaron7, I suggest you do not mention your age on these fora. People here like to tell youngsters to bugger off. I don't know why.

Bookmark   June 9, 2009 at 10:46AM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Aw, I disagree with that comment, Albert. Kids are typically encouraged here. The exception would be those children that come in clearly wanting the answers to a test or research paper, without doing any of the work themselves.

Those youngsters are often directed to the library! ;-)

Aaron's question appears to be pretty legitimate, to me.

Here is a link that might be useful: Click here for information

Bookmark   June 9, 2009 at 12:46PM
aaron7

thanks albert and rhizo. I guess it depends on who your telling your age to. I guess the only reason I out my age up was afraid that people would think that I wasn't clueless :) And I sort of wanted to just try it out to mist a small bed not one that mists 3 14 by 3ft beds. Albert, I had looked at a few threads before I posted this one and saw so many different ideas, I wanted to post my age because I did not want people to think I owned a few greenhouses and was a professional.
thanks, aaron

Bookmark   June 9, 2009 at 6:21PM
logrock(7b (NW of Atlanta))

Aaron, I don't think there are any real inexpensive systems (under $150) that do things like "spray 5 seconds, every 10 minutes, except at night". There are lots of cheap "lawn" timers that do "once a day for 1/2 hour" or something. You may have to invent something non-electronic.

Bookmark   June 17, 2009 at 9:56AM
kayjones(Mo6b)

I would like to suggest that you send your question (or call) manufacturers of these systems - see what they tell you. I am sure they will give you direction. Come back and let us know what you come up with.

Bookmark   June 18, 2009 at 8:37AM
wallknight

Hi Aaron-
Here's what you need to do: find a timer; this is the hardest part. I found the cheapest and easiest is the Melnor 3060 [NOT the dual hose version] $40 at Home Depot.

Then find a mist head. Lowest volume is best, since that timer stays on for 2 minutes. I got mine from Morton's Hort. supplies. (also cheapest pots)

While you're at HD, grab fittings for the 1/2" spray head to 3/4" hose outlet. I use schedule 40pvc. Its a puzzle; you'll figure it out!

Now, suspend this over a bed of course sand, and somehow protect it from animals (screen over the top or something).

Done. Mist system for $50. I've made hundreds of plants with this simple setup.

Bookmark   June 18, 2009 at 12:55PM
More Discussions
Apple Tree from seed
Hello knowlegeable people! I have some trees started...
bobcat115
Germination Chamber
I built this for my wife. The humidity is staying anywhere...
rsteph1000
Clonex gel turned liquid
When my Clonex gel was about a year old and I went...
jbclem
If cuttings have been rooting for 3 weeks, is it ok to now put on heat
I took several cutting of differant plants about 3...
tlbean2004
Rootong Juniperus virginiana cuttings?
I need to root some Eastern Juniper or Eastern "Redcedar"...
treeguy123
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™