Irrigated irrigation contractor!?

miss_rumphius_rules(z6 NJ)September 30, 2005

I was totally embarassed today in front of a client. The client who has 2 other homes w/irrigation was questioning the estimate and asked to speak w/the irrigation guys. So I set up the meeting.

The irrigation contractor (who I have used very sucessfully in the past) showed up late, unprepared and smelling like whiskey to explain the estimate. After about 15 minutes of double talking, he got frustrated w/the questions the client was asking and said to his partner 'We're outta here' and walked off the site.

I don't think I have ever witnessed anything like this before, in any business. It's not like this is a fly by night business--they're one of the big irrigation companies around here.

Crazy. Don't think I'll be using them again.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
The_Mohave__Kid(Nevada)

Yeah ... hmm ... I'm still waiting for contractor number 16 to reply back with a promised layout and design for my home addition.

I know what you mean.

Good Day ...

Bookmark   September 30, 2005 at 6:33PM
creatrix(z7 VA)

Sounds like the irrigation guy may need a 12 step program in the near future.

A designer I know had a similar experience recently- except the guy went off the wagon after the job was started. She had a nightmare with that!

It's hard to depend on others, and I agree we look bad when our referrals behave poorly. But not all of us are able to do all our installs, either.

Bookmark   September 30, 2005 at 7:55PM
Ron_B

Since the relationship with him is over, you should be able to relate your shared astonishment and dismay to the client, as a preface to getting another irrigation guy lined up. Alcoholics aren't rare, the customers should be able to understand that you weren't expecting him to show up soused and confrontational.

Bookmark   September 30, 2005 at 10:01PM
More Discussions
liners or plugs without a wholesalers licence?
I have a large garden and would like to purchase perennials...
forest_gardener
RE: hiring help
I've been the sole gardener at an estate for 15+ years...
dlbk
Planting Mature Trees
Thanks in advance to anyone who replies. We have been...
KateInOhio
Being able to purchase plants wholesale
Hello, beside having a retail nursery - what other...
natalie4b
grow your own or use plugs?
Although we grow a couple acres of produce, we really...
midmogrower
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™