propagating russian sage 'filigran'......

flybynyte(Z4 NE-SD)June 30, 2008

anyone had any luck achieving a new plant?

i never have had much luck when it comes to propagating cuttings (not that i have a lot of experience at it anyway).

when i was out in the garden the other day, i noticed a branch of my 'filigran' was laying on the ground (still partially connected). my 'filigran' is nowhere near blooming yet because of our very cool spring. i dislodged it from the plant, trimmed the piece to about 6 inches. then, i dipped it in rooting hormone and put it in a pot. i then watered and misted it, and covered it with a plastic bag (to help with humidity). i am keeping it in the house. right now the plants leaves are rather wilted, and, the tip is almost pointing straight down.

just curious---anyone had success with 'filigran'?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
georgez5il(z5 IL)

Take tip cuttings of firm new growth apply 0.1% IBA (Rooting hormone) Stick in well drained soil & mist

Bookmark   July 1, 2008 at 4:56PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
albert_135(Sunset 2 or 3)

I have no idea what strain we have growing in the high deserts of Utah and Nevada but I have had absolutely no luck, none, nil, using the usually impeccable georgez5il's procedure. Tip cuttings never work for me. I must wait until fall and go down to where the bark is rough, six month old woody cuttings.

Using these old growth cuttings I can just toss them in a trench and cover them and next spring I get growth from rooted cuttings. The old growth will also root in pots with potting soil if carefully stearalized. I don't have any conjecture as to why outside in trenches have less fungus problem than inside in pots unless it is the temperature.

Bookmark   July 3, 2008 at 1:31PM
More Discussions
Royal Poinciana Tree Grafting (Delonix Regia, Flamboyant)
Anyone out there have any experience grafting the Royal...
nsboyd1210
Rootong Juniperus virginiana cuttings?
I need to root some Eastern Juniper or Eastern "Redcedar"...
treeguy123
How much light for cuttings?
How much light needs a bed for cuttings? If I put some...
loewenzahn
Clonex gel turned liquid
When my Clonex gel was about a year old and I went...
jbclem
Can Budwood be too small, or thin?
When grafting should I try to obtain close to pencil...
figbear (8b coastal carolina)
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™