Aspirin as Willow Substitute?

julia_123(zone5/Indiana)June 28, 2005

I read on here somewhere that if you don't have a willow tree to use part of as a rooting hormone, you can also just use aspirin. Does anyone know how many aspirin to use per cutting??? THanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
taxonomist(7b VA)

Willow tissue contains a low level of 3-Indoleacetic acid, a rooting hormone. Aspirin is the acetylated form of salicyclic acid which has little or no rooting hormone activity. The readily available commericial preparation, Root-tone, works very nicely for almost all rooting techniques.Almost all cuttings root better if taken in the early AM.Good Luck!

Bookmark   June 28, 2005 at 6:46PM
lamico(z6 CT)

I just recently read that you can dissolve 4 aspirin in 1 gallon of water to use as a willow water substitue in rooting cuttings. Haven't tried it yet myself but I intend to.

Bookmark   June 15, 2006 at 12:51AM
albert_135(Sunset 2 or 3)

It has been 50 years since I studied this stuff but I am not sure that substitution of an acetylated form of salicyclic acid aka aspirin for the salicyclic acid in willow would work nor am I sure that it will not work.

I do know that when I did controlled experiments in a greenhouse that in my own research I never found any benifit to using aspirin.

BTW, FWIW, all those things, I've a textbook boxed away here somewhere that says the best willow are found above 8000 feet. This will not help most users here but just in case you have a cabin up there somewhere I would suggest you try it and report back.

Bookmark   June 15, 2006 at 1:58PM
edlincoln(6A)

I thought the benefit of aspirin was that it's acidity killed bacteria.

Bookmark   December 2, 2013 at 12:02AM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL(8B AL)

What are you trying to propagate? The necessity of hormones is exaggerated in most cases.

Bookmark   December 6, 2013 at 11:31AM
More Discussions
plant growth regulators
Hi all, just found this web site selling plant growth...
stoker128
Apple Tree from seed
Hello knowlegeable people! I have some trees started...
bobcat115
Can Budwood be too small, or thin?
When grafting should I try to obtain close to pencil...
figbear (8b coastal carolina)
wanted cuttings for Weeping Willow for Postage
Will pay postage for some cuttings that will grow in...
happytomato2008
Grafting Black Walnut
Has anyone done this? I'm going to try this spring,...
terrycalhoun
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™