Would you recommend a 4 year degree in horticulture?

mike758September 29, 2013

I'm definitely interested in the horticulture industry. I don't have any jobs lined up or anything but from what I understand it's a broad industry with a lot of jobs, including not a lot, but some high paying. Now I was thinking about going to a 4 year local college, temple university ambler campus, to get a 4 year degree in horticulture. It's not a top horticulture school like penn state but it won't put me into a whole lot of debt either, because it's about $12k a year and I would commute. Some people on another forum post recommended things like trade school and internships. I was wondering though, would you recommend these over a degree or add some to a degree? There is a local 3 year free trade school called williamson free trade school, which I very hard to get into but they look like they have a good program too.

This post was edited by mike758 on Wed, Oct 2, 13 at 15:34

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Williamson appears to have a good program.....but you'll have to think long and hard about enrolling in a buttoned up, strict, religious, all male institution. Wearing a suit and tie from dawn to dark every day is not something that a lot of young men would like. :-)

The good thing about this sort of program is that you can, in all likelihood, transfer to a university as full junior (or better) for more advanced coursework. IF you want to, of course.

Good luck with your decision, whatever it is.

This post was edited by rhizo_1 on Mon, Oct 7, 13 at 14:54

Bookmark   October 7, 2013 at 2:50PM
mike758

I don't care if it's not fun, I'm mainly looking to do what's best for my future. Now it's true that a lot of kids only go to certain places so they can party, but I'm not one of those. I'd rather sacrifice 3 years of fun for a better career. So I mean unless I change my career choice, Williamson, temple university ambler, and maybe even internships are my possibilities on the table, I'm looking to do what's best career wise.

Bookmark   October 8, 2013 at 8:26AM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

You will have to decide, by your careful research, if Williamson carries a good reputation in the real world. Are graduates sought for employment? Does it have full transfer agreements with other four year schools?

If yes to those questions, and you qualify for admission, a technical college is often a very good place to start an educational journey. How far you take your education depends on what your goals are. At this point, you have no earthly idea what your future holds! It might be smart to stick your toe in the water slowly.

I will tell you this, my four year degree from a university with a great reputation opened door after door to me that would not have been opened otherwise. How well I did in those positions, however was entirely up to me.

Bookmark   October 13, 2013 at 1:53PM
More Discussions
Wave Easy Red Petunia
Has anyone grown this plant. This is the first year...
lorraine644
Plant identification needed - please see photo
Dear Master Gardeners, please help me identify this...
landscaping2014
Planting Mature Trees
Thanks in advance to anyone who replies. We have been...
justjamplease
Being able to purchase plants wholesale
Hello, beside having a retail nursery - what other...
natalie4b
Boxwood rejuvination
I have a job on an estate in Northern Virginia that...
beigestonehill
Sponsored Products
18 to 30-inch Adjustable Spring Tension or Screw Mount Curtain Rod
Overstock.com
30 Inch Grey Oak Bathroom Vanity Set
TheBathOutlet
Market Square Large Outdoor Wall Mount
$247.00 | Bellacor
Alessandria Ceiling Fan by Casablanca Fan Company
$499.00 | Lumens
Nora Diamond II Bronze 4" LED Recessed Retrofit Light Kit
Lamps Plus