Crape Myrtle Help

nbarringerJune 27, 2007

I recently purchased a Muskogee Crape Myrtle. I did not know that this particular variation of tree grew to be 20-30 ft. tall and 20 ft wide. I planted on the edge of my flower bed about 3ft away from the house. And it is spaced about four ft away from some azalea bushes I planted. I planted it last week. Should I go ahead and move it to the yard? or can I just keep this tree pruned small.

What should I do?

Thanks

Nick

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
georgez5il(z5 IL)

The plant may be kept in bound by chemical means or by physical means (prunning) this requires constant attention by YOU! (1)So your time becomes a factor in the decision.
(2)Will the Crape myrtle in that location be a asset or a detraction/. (3)Could another plant be as benificial with a smaller maintance requirement (4) Can the plant be moved safely at this time.

Bookmark   June 27, 2007 at 6:32PM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

The appearance of your tree will be ruined by the type of pruning that you will have to do to make it conform to the size constraints. Since you planted it just last week, I'd yank it from that location and give it a site where it does not have to be pruned at all.

Bookmark   June 28, 2007 at 11:38AM
nbarringer

I appreciate the follow up. I will move it this weekend. How fast will this thing grow?

Bookmark   June 28, 2007 at 1:46PM
Xtal(z8b Temple. TX)

Hello Nick,
I know it's been a while since you posted this note. But, I thought I'd ask how your transplanting worked out for you. I've got to transplant a smaller crape, Dynamite Red, this Fall.

By any chance, do you have any cuttings you could spare this Fall? I'd like to get a couple of that variety going in my back yard. I'll have some Dynamite Red that I could trade with you if you'd be interested.

Whachathink?
Xtal

Bookmark   August 17, 2009 at 8:27AM
brandon7 TN_zone(7)

Xtal,

Keep in mind that `Whit II` (the actual cultivar name of Dynamite) is patented. The plant patent number is PP10296. Propagation is illegal without permission. I wouldn't advise taking or offering cuttings for propagation.

Bookmark   August 18, 2009 at 9:53AM
More Discussions
Propagating Angel vine???
Is there a secret to starting a cutting from this awesone...
MauiDave
'cloning machines' are they any good?
I've looked at some photos (on a website) that show...
tete_a_tete
Can Budwood be too small, or thin?
When grafting should I try to obtain close to pencil...
figbear (8b coastal carolina)
Rooting hormone
Hormex is what we always had in the house, but I don't...
zensojourner
Royal Poinciana Tree Grafting (Delonix Regia, Flamboyant)
Anyone out there have any experience grafting the Royal...
nsboyd1210
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™