Propagating Weigela

carmen_grower_2007(4/5)June 6, 2009

My Weigela is now blooming. When would it be best to take cuttings? I want to make a good number of bushes to go along a hill that is hard to mow.

What is the best way to make lots of small plants? I have done this before with practically no luck (with cuttings in a pot) but at least was able to bring one from my former house that is now a great beautiful bush.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tammyinwv(z6/WV)

The way I have done it with weigelia, has worked very well for me. I wait till blooms alomst done, and you have some good new growth on the ends of the branches. Cut a piece about 1/2" below the lowest set of leaves. Pull all leaves off, but about 2-3 at the end of the stem. Usually mine are about 6" long. Then dip the end in rooting hormone, and plant. I have a small bed next to the back of my house with hostas etc. It only gets early morning sun, the dirt stays moist, and fairly loose. I put most cuttings in this bed, and forget about them. I even get roses to root here.No jars on top or anything. The hosta's and bleeding hearts etc provide some shade and protection, but still allow air flow. The weigela has rooted very easy for me, and is a very fasr grower.
Tammy

Bookmark   June 7, 2009 at 9:05PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pitimpinai(z6 Chicago)

My Weigela layered itself last year, so this year I am air layering 5 branches. I have done this with success with Red Twig Dogwood, so I wanted to try it with Weigela. I should try ground layering it too. It'll be a lot easier.

I have had more success layering than cuttings.

Bookmark   June 7, 2009 at 11:21PM
More Discussions
Coleus Propagation/Pinching
Hi, Here are my new, first time growing from seeds,...
Cathy Cokley
problem with carica papaya seedling survival
Hi I live in a temperate zone, have a large conservatory,...
marcyoung
Source for berry cuttings
Hi, I'm having a hard time finding anywhere on the...
shaggyfrog
Cuttings and Moon Phases
I'm wondering if the moon phases, fruitful or barren...
luvs2plant
wanted cuttings for Weeping Willow for Postage
Will pay postage for some cuttings that will grow in...
happytomato2008
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™