How does one become a wholesaler??

tropicalfreak(z10b Ft Lauderdale)October 24, 2005

was curious about possibly purchasing liners and raising them to sell retail?? how does one purchase from a nursery that caters to the wholesale trade?? do i need a license?? etc?? will i need to sell retail??

thanks..cliff

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mylu

I think you are referring to a re-wholesaler.
Our business is slowly turning wholesale for a variety of reasons and my first suggestion would be you need customers to sell to. How do you get them? Reputation.

You need to develop good stock and good relations with your customers no matter who they are.

If you have a million to invests your better then I. We started small, We're talking to local retail nurseries, stopping buy with samples, chatting, asking what they need and how can we save them cash.

One place to sell that you may not have thought about.
Golf Courses. They all have a large budget!

In other words you have to work real hard for it. Most retailers are pretty darn set in their ways and who they buy from.

Good luck to you.

Bookmark   October 24, 2005 at 1:19PM
viola8(z8)

It sounds to me like you want to buy liners wholesale, then grow them on to sell retail??? And yet you title your thread How does one become a wholesaler? That would mean you are selling plants wholesale, not retail. Multiple threads give info on starting a nursery business. Have you read any of those or done some research?

Some liner suppliers will sell direct to you, others prefer you go thru a broker representing them. I'm sure if you let us know specifically what kinds of plants you want to purchase, we could steer you to a source. Or do some google searches on specific plants and their wholesale sources.

Bookmark   October 25, 2005 at 2:42AM
laag(z6CapeCod)

By being able to produce enough plants to make it worth someone's time to buy them from you, to be able to produce them as efficiently (cheaper) as all the other wholesalers that are available to those you might sell to, and to have a readily available supply with consistant quality (whether that is high, low, or somewhere in between). That is a tough threshold when you consider the people who are doing it already are so far ahead in all of that than someone who has not done it before.

Bookmark   October 26, 2005 at 12:48PM
More Discussions
RE: hiring help
I've been the sole gardener at an estate for 15+ years...
dlbk
Planting Mature Trees
Thanks in advance to anyone who replies. We have been...
justjamplease
Plant photography
I recently ran into this issue on a lilac site. Plants...
Sherwood Botsford
Organizing a personal plant database
I'm creating a database to store my very large plant...
WendyB
Plant identification needed - please see photo
Dear Master Gardeners, please help me identify this...
landscaping2014
Sponsored Products
Vig Furniture - 553-1 - Modern Italian Leather Sectional Sofa -...
Great Furniture Deal
Hudson Reed Modern Concealed Thermostatic Shower Faucet Dual Control
Hudson Reed
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Linon Home Decor Rugs Salonika Ikat Grey
Home Depot
Shop Vac Wall Mount Stainless Steel Garage Vacuum
$199.00 | FRONTGATE
Eiffel Arm Chair in Orange
$154.99 | Dot & Bo
Wave Zig Zag Giclee Swing Arm Wall Light
Lamps Plus
Butler Heritage Clock Cocktail Table 6047070