questions about micropropagation

springlongOctober 30, 2006

(i posted a similar but briefer query on the 'propagation' forum)

hello

to all or any practitioners of micropropagation:

How crucial is microprogation in gaining a production advantage over 'traditional' growers? I suppose this varies between different plant groups, so do you know of any particulars?

What micropropagation textbooks did you find most helpful? Do you know of any short courses on micropropagation in the UK or elsewhere (in case I must fulfil prerequisites - I'm a bio phd with extensive sterile culture experience)?

Are there any general use plant tissue culture media that can be formulated from easy-to-obtain ingredients? And to what extent are species-specific protocols openly published (e.g. in the Journal of MP) versus being kept closely guarded trade secrets?

hmm... I could keep typing questions on this newly engrossing subject all night... anyone want to be my micropropagation mentor?

any info greatly appreciated, thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fredt7(GA 7/8)

Hello,
My only experience with micropropagation is a one-day course I took last month. The lady who gave the instruction has a web site where she sells supplies: www.kitchenculturekit.com
I'll also add a link to a site that lists several other suppliers.
There are discussion groups you can join. Unfortunately, this site won't let me mention the one I belong to, but if you'll email me directly I'll give you that address.
Hope this helps; good luck.
Fred

Here is a link that might be useful: Suppliers

Bookmark   December 10, 2006 at 8:46AM
More Discussions
plant growth regulators
Hi all, just found this web site selling plant growth...
stoker128
Planting Mature Trees
Thanks in advance to anyone who replies. We have been...
KateInOhio
Fungicide for damping off of food producing plants?
What would be a systemic fungicide that could be used...
ms_minnamouse
landscape designer wanted
i live in the San Fernando valley/Sherman Oaks. Looking...
nancy4435
Best wave petunia for hanging baskets???
What do you growers think is the best wave petunia...
Diamond2014
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™