Sand. Which Sand?

love_the_yard(z9A Jax FL)June 11, 2010

Plan to mix it 50/50 with peat. Which sand is the right one? I have the choice of:

- Pool filter sand

- Play sand

- All-purpose sand

- Paver sand

- Desert sand

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Suzi AKA DesertDance

Peat is the problem. Any sand. Not peat!! Use Perlite, Diotameaous earth or Turface, pine bark fines, but NOT peat! Peat is the thing that dries and makes the water pool on top, drain down the sides, and NEVER get to the plant! It's OK if you are making a hypertufa pot, but for a soil... BAD!!

Bookmark   June 12, 2010 at 12:32AM
love_the_yard(z9A Jax FL)

But Janie said she uses a 50/50 mix of peat and perlite for her propagation boxes with a high rate of success. I gotta do what Janie did! Here's a link to the famous thread: Janie's Easy Propagation Chamber

Bookmark   June 12, 2010 at 11:16AM
origami_master(5b)

the peat has to stay moist. whenever you let it dry out, it forms a crust and repels water. In the propagation chamber, because the lid stays on most of the time, and because of the reservoir in the middle, the peat will never (or should not) dry out. When I use sand, I use washed play sand - any type or sand should work. The chamber uses the same principle as the 'Forsythe pot' only it has a cover to better retain humidity.

Bookmark   June 12, 2010 at 8:01PM
oregonwoodsmoke(5 OR Sunset 1A)

Just be sure that the sand you get did not come off of the beach. If it has sea salt in it, it will probably kill your plants.

Bookmark   June 13, 2010 at 7:31PM
oregonwoodsmoke(5 OR Sunset 1A)

If you happen to be in an area where you can buy decomposed granite, that works well, because it is course grained.

Your sand is for drainage, so the fine sand is less useful than a larger grained sand (if that helps).

I just mixed up a batch of sand with coir and a little bit of Miracle Grow potting soil. It looks nice, but this is the first batch, so I don't know yet how it works.

Bookmark   June 13, 2010 at 7:37PM
More Discussions
Can Budwood be too small, or thin?
When grafting should I try to obtain close to pencil...
figbear (8b coastal carolina)
Royal Poinciana Tree Grafting (Delonix Regia, Flamboyant)
Anyone out there have any experience grafting the Royal...
nsboyd1210
wanted cuttings for Weeping Willow for Postage
Will pay postage for some cuttings that will grow in...
happytomato2008
Apple Tree from seed
Hello knowlegeable people! I have some trees started...
bobcat115
Can/do plants propagated asexually by cutting form taproots ?
Can/do plants propagated asexually by cutting form...
Zoztrog
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™