Please help with poppies!!!

seansteezyJune 19, 2013

Sorry if this is not the right place to post this but I don't know where else to. I planted some somniferum poppies early march and they were doing great up until about three days ago they began to shoot their stock with the bud on it but I guess the sun was a little to hot and all of their buds and bud leaves got burnt really bad, the rest of the plant on all of them is still very Healthy. I began puting large patio umbrellas over them from 12 - 3 pm which is the hottest part of the day. If that is not bad enough they are getting full blown attacked by catipillars, aphids, and some mystery bug that is eating large portions of the leaves at a time. I go out there every day and kill off all the cattapilars, and aphids I can find but this mystery pest I just stared seeing the bite marks today. I don't really know what to do about any of it, from my last grow I noticed that pesticides really mutated poppies. So I'm not sure if that's a good idea and as for the burning it seems like every time a new bud begins coming up it gets fried. Even after I began puting up the umbrellas. So any help will be very much appreciated. Thanks p.s is there any way to put pics up ?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
anthomusic(8a)

Well, to start off, i wouldn't feel safe posting about growing those here. Anyways, the mystery pest could actually maybe be small birds coming and pecking at them when no one is around? Similar sort of look to it. The problem with umbrellas is that poppies really really benefit from a full day of sun. I'm not sure that they're photoperiodic, but they definitely grow better under those conditions, so protecting against burn is a little troublesome. Try leaving a set covered and a set uncovered at the same time, to see which does better. I'm not sure how much help i can provide, but one thing i can say is that there is an option to upload images. And if you don't want to host on this website, you can upload a larger set of images on imgur.com for free and link it in your post.

Bookmark   June 20, 2013 at 2:10AM
More Discussions
problem with carica papaya seedling survival
Hi I live in a temperate zone, have a large conservatory,...
marcyoung
Can/do plants propagated asexually by cutting form taproots ?
Can/do plants propagated asexually by cutting form...
Zoztrog
If cuttings have been rooting for 3 weeks, is it ok to now put on heat
I took several cutting of differant plants about 3...
tlbean2004
Grafting Black Walnut
Has anyone done this? I'm going to try this spring,...
terrycalhoun
Coleus Propagation/Pinching
Hi, Here are my new, first time growing from seeds,...
Cathy Cokley
Sponsored Products
Textured Lines Rug 10' x 14' - NAVY
$4,599.00 | Horchow
Club Collection Oil Rubbed Bronze Finish Swingarm Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Around the World Cork Board
| Dot & Bo
American Outdoor Grill 33802 Double Drawer - 33802
$550.80 | Hayneedle
BDI | Mirageā„¢ Media Tower 8222
YLiving.com