Grafting Bay trees

calvin_2008June 29, 2008

It is a thing on my "to do" list to graft a Persea Borbonia (red bay) or a Persea Paulustris (swamp bay) to a Magnilia virginiana (sweet bay). I have several questions that beg an answer.....When would one attempt to make such a graft? What type of graft would one use? I am a grafter of plums, pecans and citurs but this is the direction I am headed. I want to graft some bay trees.......why.....because there is a decline of the Persea and I want to see if I can strengthen the tree...If anyone has grafted or wants to graft or knows of any information as to this practice please let me know. Thanks for your consideration...................

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
georgez5il(z5 IL)

Common sence says use methods of grafting you know..... as you have guesed we have no experience with your "problem" so please go ahead & try several methods then report back with the results. Sorry could not be of help but now you may be able to teach us

Bookmark   July 10, 2008 at 8:09AM
starfarmer

You might be able to graft a Persea borbonia to a P. palustris and vice versa, but neither would work on Magnolia virginiana because the Perseas are in the Laurel family (Lauraceae) and the Magnolia is in the Magnolia family (Magnoliaceae). While both families are ancient, they are quite distinctive both genetically and vascularly, and will not create viable grafts. This question is four years old, so the asker has probably already discerned this, but I thought I'd try to make it clear.

Here is a link that might be useful: Laurel family article on Wikipedia

Bookmark   October 23, 2012 at 1:25PM
starfarmer

Also, you may find the accompanying document link interesting. The limits of Persea compatibility seem to have been at least nominally set out.

Here is a link that might be useful: Graft Compatibility in the Genus Persea (1958)

Bookmark   October 23, 2012 at 2:25PM
More Discussions
Easy Propagation Chamber
I make a little propagation chamber that is so easy,...
little_dani
How much light for cuttings?
How much light needs a bed for cuttings? If I put some...
loewenzahn
Can/do plants propagated asexually by cutting form taproots ?
Can/do plants propagated asexually by cutting form...
Zoztrog
Trying to propagate for the first time
Propagating is completely new to me. I have an astilbe...
Amy Biondolillo
Coleus Propagation/Pinching
Hi, Here are my new, first time growing from seeds,...
Cathy Cokley
Sponsored Products
Masiero Lighting | Drylight 6 Light Outdoor Chandelier
YLighting
Masiero Lighting | Drylight Outdoor Wall Sconce
$680.00 | YLighting
Masiero Lighting | Drylight Outdoor Table Lamp
YLighting
Masiero Lighting | Drylight 12 Light Outdoor Chandelier
YLighting
Masiero Lighting | Drylight 18 Light Outdoor Chandelier
YLighting