Willow water question

Fleur(z5)June 23, 2009

Can anyone tell me the color of properly prepared willow water? I am ready to start some softwood cuttings of shrubs and thought I'd soak them in willow water for a while before sticking them. Then would use the willow water to moisten the media.

I brought to a boil a gallon or so of water, threw in about a cup of pencil thick or smaller 1" pieces of willow and let it cool. When I peeked a while ago, it looked like weak tea. Is this the color it should be or should I dilute it??

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
morz8(Washington Coast Z8b)

You don't need to dilute it. When I watched a local plantsman/propagator make it on a television segment, he put willow pieces in a stock-type pot just covered with water by a couple of inches and simmered (barely) with lid overnight. It was definitely darker than weak tea, looked more like cola.

Bookmark   June 24, 2009 at 11:00AM
Fleur(z5)

Thanks. I have so much of it I've got to figure out a way to use it or lose it. A friend suggested that perhaps I could freeze it.

I also read somewhere that ww will stay fresh for a year or longer if you refrigerate it. I wonder if that's true. I'm afraid if I leave it in the fridge, I may someday think it's tea, add sugar, drink it and sprout roots.

Bookmark   June 24, 2009 at 1:29PM
karyn1(7a)

When I made it I crushed the willow stems before simmering them. Mine was about the color of weak tea. I didn't bother storing it but I don't see why you couldn't freeze it.

Bookmark   June 25, 2009 at 10:16PM
More Discussions
Plant Propagation, AHS
American Horticultural Society: Plant Propagation. Most...
Hermitian
Cuttings and Moon Phases
I'm wondering if the moon phases, fruitful or barren...
luvs2plant
Germination Chamber
I built this for my wife. The humidity is staying anywhere...
rsteph1000
Grafting Black Walnut
Has anyone done this? I'm going to try this spring,...
terrycalhoun
Apple Tree from seed
Hello knowlegeable people! I have some trees started...
bobcat115
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™