Lawsuits/Liabilities

boredsogarden(8 VA)October 16, 2006

I was hoping to read some stories about experiences (if any) dealing with lawsuits or liabilities they have incurred in the nursery business. I just want to know what there is out there to know what to look for; prepare for; be aware of; etc.

I hope no one has had any but I am just curious. Thank you.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Are you going to be having customers come to your home to do business, or do you plan on having a different location?

Bookmark   October 18, 2006 at 1:44PM
boredsogarden(8 VA)

To my home. I live in an "agricultural" zone so I am able to run a nursery business from my home.

Sorry it took so long to get back...I have been on a sabbatical.

Bookmark   October 25, 2006 at 11:20PM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

In some locations, when you apply for your business license, someone will come out and do an inspection of the site. That can be helpful. Be sure to check with your homeowners insurance holder and see what you have to do to be covered in the event of an accident. I'm sure that you will have to purchase supplemental coverage.

Perhaps your attorney can help you with an itemized list of precautions and problems that you need to address. Some of the things I can think of off the top of my head are: safe and easy entry and egress from your location, adequate and safe parking, ease of maneuvering the location without fear of tripping over a cracked sidewalk or hidden edging, rest room facilities (?), no slippery areas when wet, uneven surface, holes, etc.

A friend of mine stepped into a hole (hidden by weeds) at a large wholesale nursery and snapped her Achilles tendon. That resulted in a substantial lawsuit, as you can imagine.

Bookmark   October 27, 2006 at 2:28PM
More Discussions
Being able to purchase plants wholesale
Hello, beside having a retail nursery - what other...
natalie4b
plant growth regulators
Hi all, just found this web site selling plant growth...
stoker128
Landscaper has business in residential neighborhood with HOA
I live in a neighborhood which does not allow you to...
diddlydoo
landscape designer wanted
i live in the San Fernando valley/Sherman Oaks. Looking...
nancy4435
POS systems
I work at a nursery and the office manager asked me...
christinmk z5b eastern WA
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™