sedge in liriope-any hope?

creatrix(z7 VA)October 18, 2008

Anybody have any helpful suggestions for getting rampant sedge out of a bed of liriope? There's two kinds- one has runners and is really winning!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gonativegal(zone 5a)

The one with runners sounds like nutsedge. Nutsedge likes moist soil so if you are watering this area cut off the supply. And since it has infested itself, the only thing you can do is to keep handpulling on a continous basis - the other way it spreads is by self-seeding.

Bookmark   October 19, 2008 at 5:06PM
rachel_z6(7)

I saw a product called Sedgehammer that intrigued me, but I haven't tried it. I had the same problem when I first took over a property a couple years ago: I hand pulled it every week during the season and didn't let it go to seed. Barely an issue anymore. Quite the pain when it's amongst other bladed plants! My commiserations.

Bookmark   October 19, 2008 at 9:55PM
xylosma

Sedgehammer is labeled for turf and woody ornamentals. It would probably damage the Liriope. I have used it in turf and it works really well. They also have a supplemental label for Horsetail control.
I believe that yellow nutsedge has sterile flowers so it won't reseed. It does have nutlets which are like little bulbs and are incredibly persistent. Check out the next plant you pull and you should see the nutlets forming on the tips of the roots.

Bookmark   October 21, 2008 at 1:32PM
petzold6596(8b southern NM)

You do not have to broadcast a herbicide. They can be applied with an artist brush in tight place like flower beds.

Bookmark   October 22, 2008 at 8:49PM
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

Dig it all up, separate out the weeds and replant. You may have to replace the soil first so that there is not re-infestation from remaining fragments.

Bookmark   November 27, 2008 at 9:19PM
edwardhalloran

I have used manage min. concentration. the liriope looked a litte sad for a week or to but did not die. maybe I just got lucky.

Bookmark   March 11, 2009 at 11:50AM
More Discussions
Being able to purchase plants wholesale
Hello, beside having a retail nursery - what other...
natalie4b
Anyone can help with the type of this tree
Hi, Anyone can help with the type of this tree in my...
hamidrm
Landscaper has business in residential neighborhood with HOA
I live in a neighborhood which does not allow you to...
diddlydoo
Ideal careers for a male with a horticultural degree?
I still have a long time to think about this, but it's...
mike758
plant growth regulators
Hi all, just found this web site selling plant growth...
stoker128
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™