Philodendron Cutting

rob8278June 24, 2013

I had a rather old philodendron type plant that had to be tossed out. Mold gnats all over the place that I couldn't get rid of after a replanting. I did take a cutting and put it in a cup of water. It appears to be growing but there is no discernible root growth. I'd like to repot it but I'm not sure how to proceed. Thank you for any suggestions.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kayjones(Mo6b)

Just leave it in water until roots form, then pot it up.

I grew a cutting in a water-filled beer bottle for more than 10 years! It wound around my living room. I kept the water topped off and added a drop of Miracle Gro fertilizer once a month and it did great.

Bookmark   June 25, 2013 at 12:52PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL

Hi & welcome to GardenWeb!

Is there a submerged node? AFAIK, Philo can only make roots at a node.

There are many discussions on the house plants forum about fungus gnats. Generally, altering one's watering practices (which involves corrected perspective on when/how often plants need to be watered,) or the use of mosquito dunks, or combo of these, can be effective. Mosquito dunks are primarily used to keep mosquito larvae from being able to survive in bird baths, but also reportedly effective for treating potted plants.

Potting soil that has organic matter in it can have these critters in it, so you're right, repotting can be frustratingly ineffective. I hope this can help you prevent the need/thought to discard plants in the future!

Bookmark   June 26, 2013 at 4:09PM
More Discussions
'cloning machines' are they any good?
I've looked at some photos (on a website) that show...
tete_a_tete
Avocado tree from a seed
If I cut the sprout of my avocado tree from the seed,...
ellen1818
Grafting methods
It's getting to be that time of year again and many...
clarkinks
Propagating Angel vine???
Is there a secret to starting a cutting from this awesone...
MauiDave
Apple Tree from seed
Hello knowlegeable people! I have some trees started...
bobcat115
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™