Growing Hyacinth from seeds question

the_roaming_gnome(z6 northern pa)June 24, 2008

Ok -I have a few Hyacinths.I am not sure what variety/cultivar they are. This year they are loaded with seed pods. I was wondering if anyone has any experience growing hyacinths from seed. Is there anyhing special I have to do to get them to germinate? I have alot of experience propagating with cuttings, but very little experience growing from seed (except for the seeds you buy in packets). Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
little_dani(9, S. Tex Coast)

Do you mean hyacinths from bulbs? or Hyacinth Beans?

Janie

Bookmark   June 25, 2008 at 5:43PM
the_roaming_gnome(z6 northern pa)

We originally planted bulbs. This year we had a large number of seed pods on the plants(are these what you are calling beans?) The seeds themselves are black and white with a peanut shape. we are currently drying them. Before planting the seeds do they need to be forced by freezing or scarified or anything like that? or can we just plant them in some potting soil and expect plants?

Bookmark   June 29, 2008 at 9:31PM
flora_uk(SW UK 8/9)

I have never done this but I imagine that they would need some winter cold. Also be aware that it will be some time (probably a few years) before they flower and that there is no guarantee they will be like the parents. If you allow your hyacinths to set and ripen seed you are weakening the bulbs and they will not perform very well next year. However, it is an interestingexperiment to try.

Bookmark   July 22, 2008 at 5:10PM
More Discussions
Avocado tree from a seed
If I cut the sprout of my avocado tree from the seed,...
ellen1818
Israeli Ruscus from a bouquet
I have six stems of Israeli Ruscus from a bouquet;...
korbine
problem with carica papaya seedling survival
Hi I live in a temperate zone, have a large conservatory,...
marcyoung
Can Budwood be too small, or thin?
When grafting should I try to obtain close to pencil...
figbear (8b coastal carolina)
Cuttings and Moon Phases
I'm wondering if the moon phases, fruitful or barren...
luvs2plant
Sponsored Products
Maxi-Cosi Pria 70 Convertible Car Seat - Dress Blue - CC099BIH
$199.99 | Hayneedle
Garden Patch Art - Tomato Seeds
$169.99 | Dot & Bo
Sterling Finesse 6305-31DR-G05 31.5W x 65.5H in. Clear Glass Shower Door Multico
$831.99 | Hayneedle
American Fyre Inverted Fire Pit Table - Tuscan Slate with Granite Top Multicolor
Hayneedle
Giordano 24 in. Mens Libero Bike - 22406
$449.99 | Hayneedle
The Young Scientists Club The Magic School Bus - Slime and Polymer Lab Multicolo
$41.99 | Hayneedle
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™