Landscape Designer Fees competitve??

Hand2October 14, 2012

I have been a successful Landscape Designer (not LA) in Houston for the past six years. I currently work primarily in the residential arena providing contract services for local full service landscape companies. I charge a flat fee for landscape designs direct to the client and an hourly fee+ mileage for estimating, site visits, troubleshooting, availability research, etc. to the landscape company I contract with. I sold over $100,000 in landscape installations for one client last year alone.

Does anyone know what an appropriate hourly rate would be for someone with my skill set? I am re-evaluating what direction to go in and how I can best capitalize on my career.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

This is the type of question that will vary enormously from region to region....indeed, even from city to city.

Bookmark   October 17, 2012 at 4:23PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
marcinde(7)

^^^ as rhizo said, this is totally region dependent. I went full time after getting laid off in '08 so I couldn't even really go by what was standard for the area because those folks weren't working either. So, I used a freelance rate calculator (see the link below) to set my floor. Honestly, I should probably go back and redo it now that I've been in business for four years and have a better idea of my billable/non-billable split (hint: it's never as good as you hope).

Doing it this way, you may be above or below the market rate but at least you know you're covering your costs. If that prices you too high you know you need to reconsider some things, because your biz better cover costs. If you're low, you can start bumping your rates up. I've bumped my rates up by $30/hr since I started and realistically - given how efficient I've become - I need to bump again.

Here is a link that might be useful: Freelance Rate Calculator

Bookmark   October 19, 2012 at 10:42AM
More Discussions
Need volunteers or another inexpensive method for seed production
I am running a very tiny seed operation that has recently...
amigoverde
Being able to purchase plants wholesale
Hello, beside having a retail nursery - what other...
natalie4b
Landscaper has business in residential neighborhood with HOA
I live in a neighborhood which does not allow you to...
diddlydoo
Advice on Starting a Garden Design and Consultation Business
Yes, I have read many start up advice posts on this...
alexmac13
POS systems
I work at a nursery and the office manager asked me...
christinmk z5b eastern WA
Sponsored Products
Larco Area Rug - 3'11" x 5'5"
Grandin Road
Carlisle 5-pc. Round Outdoor Dining Set in Gray Finish, Patio Furniture
FRONTGATE
Monarch Antique Bronze Six-Light 24-Inch Chandelier with Royal Cut Clear Crystal
Bellacor
nuLOOM Handmade Marrakesh Trellis Indoor / Outdoor Rug (8' x 10')
Overstock.com
Tissue Pod in Pink
$39.99 | Dot & Bo
Philips Edge Bow 7 1/2" High Etched White Glass Wall Sconce
$50.00 | Lamps Plus
ACF by Nameeks ACF CP03-LC City Play 22-in. Single Bathroom Vanity Set - Larch C
Hayneedle
Roadtrip Charcoal Grill
$64.99 | zulily
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™