Mail order

garliclady(z7 NC)November 30, 2004

We Have a Garlic Farm and have been selling at local farmers markets and festivals for years. We are now ready to expand to internet sales (mailing seed garlic)those of you who do mail order. What should I do first?

I have questions like how much to charge? set rates or per order etc? who do you use for shipping? Do the shipping companies have rates for small businesses? Are there rules abot shipping "seed /produce"/ Garlic is not perishble like veggies or plants . I don't think I have to charge tax on produce or seed but if I sell value added products too will tax apply to them.

any advice will be apreciated

The Garlic Lady

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jim_yardguy(N Central TX)

As I recall, USPS used to require a package containing live plants be marked accordingly. From the USPS website:

"Perishable Items
Some items require special packaging or special permission to be mailed. Call 1800·ASK·USPS or visit your Post Office to find out how to mail these items:

* Live animals
* Fresh fruits and vegetables
* Plants"

I have always wondered what the postage would be for a horse. You can always see what other shippers require.

Anyway, I would check out any sites that already do what you are wishing to start. Check to see how someone like Burpee does things [this is not a plug for them]. There are bound to be others too.

Small businees do seem to get special shipping rates -- the absolute highest. Usually you aren't doing enough volume to matter to anyone, but there might be ways to lower your costs. Check the various shippers' websites -- usps.com, ups.com, etc.

For tax questions, you could refer to your state's website, looking for information on "sales and use tax", contact a local comptrollers office for assitance, or, worst case, a sales tax professional (accountant or lawyer). Selling out of state is always the preferred thing to do ;-)

Don't forget domain registration, web hosting, site content and maintenance, a secure transaction package, the "skim" various online payment folks charge on top of the standard card rates if you have a "business" account...

I can be a lot of fun tho :-)

Jim

Bookmark   December 1, 2004 at 6:50AM
honeybunny442(z6 TN)

Plant Delights Nursery owner Tony Avent has a book out called "So you want to start a nursery" (or something like that). There are some chapters online, he explains his thinking behind shipping (it must pay for shipping, boxes, advertising, etc). A really interesting book.
I hope to be starting a cut flower business, the idea of getting licenses and lawyers and tax info is just horrifying! This is a GREAT forum to find out lots of info though, I just joined and LOVe it!
Susan

Bookmark   December 17, 2004 at 3:45PM
becca1066

I just started looking into this as I grow herbs & perennials and wanted to start a mail order department. First, i had to become a NC certified Nursery. Then, i had to agree to treat plants(soil) for fire ants, nematodes, and Japanese beetles.(pfui) Also , mail "test shipments" to people you know in other states to see what packaging is best-This may not be so important for seed garlic, but it is for plants. Good Luck!

Bookmark   December 20, 2004 at 3:28PM
deeproots(8b South Ga)

becca.
Also find five or six of the best mail order companies and order some plants from them.
It's interesting to see how other companies pack the stuff...

that and 10years of shipping plants has gotten me pretty good at packing boxes... hardly any damages

Bookmark   December 21, 2004 at 12:51AM
majid2014

برÙدÙاست
برÙدÙاست
برÙدÙاست
برÙدÙاست بÙا٠بÙرÙ
برÙدÙاست بÙا٠بÙرÙ
برÙدÙاست ÙÙبÙا٠بÙرÙ
ÙدÙÙات
ÙدÙÙات
ÙدÙÙات اÙاعضاء
اÙاشÙد
ÙساتÙ٠عراÙس
ÙساتÙÙ
تسرÙحات عرÙس
ÙÙÙاج عراÙس
دÙÙÙرات
دÙÙÙرات
غر٠ÙÙÙ
Ùطابخ
ÙساتÙÙ
ÙساتÙÙ
ÙساتÙÙ
ÙÙÙاج
ÙÙÙاج
ÙÙ٠اب
ازÙاء
ازÙاء
اÙسسÙارات
ÙساتÙ٠اطÙاÙ
ازÙاء اطÙاÙ
تسرÙحات شعر
تسرÙحات شعر
تسرÙحات
صبغات ÙÙشعر
طبخ
Ø­ÙÙÙات
ÙعجÙات
Ø®Ùاطر
Ùصائد صÙتÙØ©
Ø´ÙÙÙات
صÙر
صÙر
اÙÙÙ
صÙر اÙÙÙ
صÙر اÙÙÙ
اÙÙا٠اÙÙÙ
بÙا٠بÙرÙ
ÙÙتدÙات
ÙÙتدÙات
اÙÙÙÙ
رسائÙ
صÙر تصÙÙÙ
صÙر تصÙÙÙ
صÙر ÙÙتصÙÙÙ
صÙر تصاÙÙÙ
صÙر ÙسÙ
تÙبÙÙات
صÙر ÙÙ ÙستتÙ
رÙزÙات ب٠بÙ
رÙزÙات ÙÙ ÙستتÙ
رÙزÙات
رÙزÙات بÙا٠بÙرÙ
رÙزÙات بÙا٠بÙرÙ

Bookmark   April 15, 2013 at 6:21PM
More Discussions
POS systems
I work at a nursery and the office manager asked me...
christinmk z5b eastern WA
Rose planting
I recently purchased some knock out roses.Is it too...
denniswalsh
Being able to purchase plants wholesale
Hello, beside having a retail nursery - what other...
natalie4b
Fungicide for damping off of food producing plants?
What would be a systemic fungicide that could be used...
ms_minnamouse
grow your own or use plugs?
Although we grow a couple acres of produce, we really...
midmogrower
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™