The first of my superhots....

greenman28 NorCal 7b/8aJuly 17, 2013

And it looks to be a cross.
The seed was collected from a Yellow Bhut, but these upright pods ain't right...so I assume that the Black Pearl or the Thai cross-pollinated, with the Thai being the more likely. This was the first seed to germinate and the plant remains the largest, which I'll now attribute to hybrid vigor. The good news...it's setting lots of pods.

Pic was taken on July 10th:

Josh

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sjetski(6b NJ)

Very nice.

I hope it turns out to be a high quality pepper. Just imagine how funky some of the other F1 seeds would have turned out.

Hoping you keep us posted with this one.

- Steve

Bookmark   July 17, 2013 at 9:02PM
habjolokia

Hi Josh, great update and good progress with plant growth. I agree looks to be a Thai X Yellow Bhut. Bhuts have good flavor and so do Thai. Though I have not had yellow Bhut so not sure on the flavor. Keep us posted you may have a good thing going especially if the flavor is good.

Mark

Bookmark   July 17, 2013 at 10:57PM
woohooman

Nice Josh! yeah... that would be awesome if it was as productive as a Thai and the pod shape, size, and heat was that of a bhut.

Kevin

Bookmark   July 17, 2013 at 11:45PM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

Thanks, guys! Steve, I'll certainly keep you all updated on the progress.
Mark, the Yellow Bhut is not as hot as the Red, probably averaging 400,000 - 600,000 Scoville. But the flavor of a Yellow Bhut is quite superior, in my opinion...more berry-like, citrusy, perhaps even a lingering grapefruit aftertaste. Perfect for a hot pineapple-lemon jam. Kevin, I just hope it isn't as seedy as a Thai!!!

Josh

Bookmark   July 18, 2013 at 12:28AM
peppernovice

Geez Josh. If your going to keep describing the yellow bhut in that manner, you're going to have to expect people will be asking for seeds. :) I'm interested in how you achieved this cross. Is this from saved seed off last years op plants? I'll be watching this thread as well. I can't wait to see how this plant turns out. It looks like your plants are catching up fast. The little bit of that plant we can see looks beautiful. Keep us posted. Good Luck!

Tim

Bookmark   July 18, 2013 at 10:01AM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

Thanks, Tim!
Yessir, my plants have caught up pretty quickly now. Compared to last year, I'm about three weeks ahead of schedule as far as pods starting to set. I saved this seed from my Yellow Bhut plant...completely accidental on my part. I don't particularly care for crosses. But at least I did two Yellow and two Red Bhuts this year...so hopefully I'll get some true Bhuts out of the four.

Josh

Bookmark   July 18, 2013 at 12:09PM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

Here's a pic of this particular plant.

Bookmark   July 19, 2013 at 3:16PM
romy6(9)

Thai Bhut. Boottie. I like the looks and sound of that. Really cool looking pod J amn !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bookmark   July 19, 2013 at 3:26PM
seysonn(8a WA/HZ 1)

BHUT = = BE HOT HOT..hehe
how Hut(HOT) do you want them ? How hot are they on scoville scale, or compared to habaneros ?

Bookmark   July 19, 2013 at 7:40PM
judo_and_peppers(Tampa FL)

use it to make hot sauce that will thai people's bhut in a knot.

and there's my pun for the day. thank you very much ladies and gentlemen, I'm here all week.

Bookmark   July 20, 2013 at 2:04AM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

Well done, well done pun! ;-)
Thanks ya'll...there's about 15 of them pods set so far.

Josh

Bookmark   July 20, 2013 at 9:28PM
Calcat36(6b)

Aji Limon grows, and looks, very much like that pod, although some of mine have decided to face the ground! I believe it is because they are abnormally large/heavy.

Keep us posted please. I'd like to see what comes of it!

Bookmark   July 21, 2013 at 2:43PM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

A couple more shots...

Bookmark   July 22, 2013 at 7:16PM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

Excited to see some color, soon I hope :-)

Bookmark   July 22, 2013 at 7:17PM
habjolokia

Nice! Lots of pod setting, looking forward to your update on heat and flavor. I wonder will it keep the yellow or go red?

Mark

Bookmark   July 22, 2013 at 8:09PM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

Thanks, Mark...!
I think it'll go red, but you never know!

Josh

Bookmark   July 22, 2013 at 9:04PM

if these end up tasting good, I wanna know about it. I've got thai and bhuts in my back yard. if it's a worthwhile cross I'll try to pull it off for next year's crop, they look interesting.

I mean, if I can get the prolific production of a thai, with heat near that of a bhut, that would be an awesome plant to grow.

...or you could just send me some seeds...

Bookmark   July 24, 2013 at 7:19PM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

I'm a bit leery of sending out crossed, unstable seeds...but we'll see how these do.

Check these pods out, though. In 2011, a Red Bhut Jolokia pollinated a Chocolate Habanero mother in my garden. In 2012, I discovered that my Choc Hab seeds were crossed. One of my friends, however, wanted to grow the seeds that resulted. And here are the results - the Bhut is dominating the phenotype.

Choc Hab X Red Bhut Jolokia:

Bookmark   July 25, 2013 at 1:57PM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

Here's what will hopefully be the first of my true Yellow Bhut Jolokia...about three pods have set so far.

Bookmark   July 26, 2013 at 3:33PM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

And the first Red Bhut Jolokia...

Bookmark   July 26, 2013 at 3:38PM
sjetski(6b NJ)

Josh even those Choc Hab X Red Bhut Jolokias look good. If i followed your story correctly, your friend grew out some F2's, and the pics are his results. Mixed looking but i imagine a few seasons down the road that some of them would stabilize to something excellent.

Still curious to see how the yellow Bhut x Thai work out. I also wonder what the better F2, F3's would end up like :)

Steve

Bookmark   July 28, 2013 at 2:58PM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

Hey, Steve, that's correct!
Only my friend is a 'she' ;-) and she's doing great! Last year, my F1 pods were very distinct - some looked like smooth Bhuts, others looked like long bumpy Nagas/Habs. But in these F2 pods, the traits are more integrated. I can see why folks take the time to hybridize plants, I'm just not sure I have the space to do so.

Josh

Bookmark   July 29, 2013 at 11:46AM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

Well, here's another cross...at least I think it to be....

Supposed to be Datil, but they don't look like the Datil did last year!

Bookmark   August 13, 2013 at 11:47PM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

....more pods...

Bookmark   August 13, 2013 at 11:58PM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

...and more pods. You tell me. Is this within the expected variation for Datil pods?

Bookmark   August 14, 2013 at 12:00AM

I still want the seeds from the bhut z thai cross. I tried to do a thai x brain cross, and it didn't take.

Bookmark   August 14, 2013 at 12:25AM
habjolokia

Nice, looking good and getting closer to the best time of the year, harvesting. How is the Manzano doing?

Mark

Bookmark   August 14, 2013 at 9:45AM
pepperdave

I have 2 Ghosts crossed with black pearl .The peppers you have look nothing like them.I will get pictures next time I get out there.Where I got my seed black pearls were the only other thing planted and I got 2 out of 150. I have not tried them yet but they look like ANCHOS the plants are 5ft tall and dont seem to have a very good production rate.Time will tell I just hope they are hot as hell.

Bookmark   August 14, 2013 at 9:59AM
pepperdave

I have 2 Ghosts crossed with black pearl .The peppers you have look nothing like them.I will get pictures next time I get out there.Where I got my seed black pearls were the only other thing planted and I got 2 out of 150. I have not tried them yet but they look like ANCHOS the plants are 5ft tall and dont seem to have a very good production rate.Time will tell I just hope they are hot as hell.

Bookmark   August 14, 2013 at 10:00AM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

Howdy, Dave.
I don't have any Bhut crossed with Black Pearls...so I wouldn't expect yours to look like mine. I only mentioned the Black Pearl because of its upright pods...but I don't actually consider that the source of the cross. The Thai chiles were much closer in proximity....and quite gregarious in spreading their pollen.

Judo, I'll keep you in mind once the Hybrid ripens.

Mark, I'm glad you asked :-) The Manzano is half-turned at this point...about 3 - 5 days out. Here she is, as of yesterday evening:

Bookmark   August 14, 2013 at 11:44AM
habjolokia

Great update looking good! The Manzano looks tasty. Is that another pod behind the one ripening? That's one plant that I will have add to my 2014 grow list which is filling up fast.

Mark

Bookmark   August 14, 2013 at 12:01PM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

Yessir, that's another pod that has just begun to color.
Really excited to finally try this one...after two seasons with the plant.

Josh

Bookmark   August 14, 2013 at 1:00PM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

And so, about a month and a half after the pod set, it finally ripened. I harvested the second pod this morning, and I see a third just beginning to show color. The aroma and the initial flavor is very much like a Bhut Jolokia, but milder. The heat is hotter than any Thai chile, but like a Thai it really stings the tongue. Had a slow build that burned for about 7 minutes, peaked, and then backed off over the next 20 minutes. Overall, not very flavorful. Might make a great powder for a hot curry, though.

Bookmark   August 20, 2013 at 12:44PM

I still want it. a month and a half to ripen, so about half way between a ghost and a thai. what about seed content? is it as seedy as a thai?

Bookmark   August 20, 2013 at 12:55PM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

Oh, great question! Forgot to mention that.
There were very few seeds in the pod, and the skin and meat was tender like a Bhut...

Josh

Bookmark   August 20, 2013 at 8:09PM
More Discussions
Seed soak
IIs 24 hours too long? I won't be home until then....
peps_22
Hate the new layout
How about you? Usually, I don't care, but this blows. Kevin...
woohooman
Do Habs take longer to germinate?
I've only had one Hab germinate after 2 weeks and almost...
ozzy2001
Help for GardenWeb Users
https://support.houzz.com/hc/en-us/sections/200556848-Help-for-GardenWeb-Users...
ronnyb123
Resurrect my Scorpion plant?
So I have a Trinidad Scorpion plant that produced fairly...
newcoyote
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™