rooting oleanders

otr2damascus(8)July 3, 2010

I am rooting oleander cuttings in water. As soon as they show signs of root development I pot them up. I change the water daily, but I am having problems with bacterial rot. Does anyone know of a simple way to control the rot long enough for the cuttings to root?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
albert_135(Sunset 2 or 3)

I have only rooted oleander cuttings in sandy soil.

If you want to start cuttings that have a rot or fungus problem wash them in common bleach. UC Davis general information on stem cuttings says 10 seconds.

Some say dilute the bleach. Some say use hydrogen peroxide. In articles on propagation more attention is made to sterilizing the cutting tools than to sterilizing the cuttings. Some commercial rooting compounds have a fungicide in them.

Here is a link that might be useful: UC Davis general information on stem cuttings.

Bookmark   July 3, 2010 at 8:08PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
otr2damascus(8)

Thank you, that is a useful link. I think I will try a bleach wash next time. I have already identified the size and position of the cutting material that roots quickest so the solution to my problem may be to concentrate on the easy material and to discard the rest. I'm trying to root about 100 cuttings quickly at minimum cost and effort.

Bookmark   July 5, 2010 at 12:55AM
More Discussions
Apple Tree from seed
Hello knowlegeable people! I have some trees started...
bobcat115
Why do some daffodils never increase in numbers?
(This has been cross-posted.) I'm really confused with...
tete_a_tete
Speed up Plant Propagation!
This will not be needed for most plant propagation...
hummersteve
Clonex gel turned liquid
When my Clonex gel was about a year old and I went...
jbclem
Can Budwood be too small, or thin?
When grafting should I try to obtain close to pencil...
figbear (8b coastal carolina)
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™