growing japanese plums from seeds

joe_n_sc(7)July 19, 2006

I have some japanese plum seeds that I received in a trade and have them planted in pots on my front porch. Its been over a month now and no germination. Do they require special conditions such as refrigeration or freezing before they will sprout? Thanks for any advice. Joe_n_SC

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
georgez5il(z5 IL)

The seed need to be stored at 40F for 12 weeks then lightly cover the seed soil temp65-70F & takes 120-365 days to germinate

Bookmark   July 20, 2006 at 1:16PM
gw:plant_babies

I stuck some seeds from my tree in a pot about 2 years ago, and the resulting tree is now about 2 feet tall.

It sat out on the covered deck the whole time.

Bookmark   July 21, 2006 at 5:53PM
jbkelley13_yahoo_com

I want to start a tree but don't know how to get started. Do I use 1 or 2 seeds per pot? and how do I maintain a 40 degree temp. can I just put them in the refrigerator?

Bookmark   April 14, 2011 at 7:22PM
brandon7 TN_zone(7)

Jennifer, yes, stratify the seeds by storing them in a damp (not wet) medium in the frig. I often use a damp paper towel inside a plastic bag, but other mediums (sand, vermiculite, peat, etc) can be used. You could even plant them and use the planting medium (covered by a sheet of plastic wrap or enclosed in a large plastic bag) for stratification if you have plenty of room in your refrigerator.

The number of seeds you should put in a pot will depend on the pot and your own personal experience/preference. You just need to consider how much space the plants will need until you transplant them and how the spacing you choose will affect ease of transplanting them. There really is no single right answer and I still change my philosophy on this from time to time.

Bookmark   April 16, 2011 at 3:06PM
More Discussions
plant growth regulators
Hi all, just found this web site selling plant growth...
stoker128
Flower buds growing and swelling on callery pear tree cuttings?
i took 12 cuttings of a pretty callery flowering pear...
tlbean2004
Growing Conifers from cutting.
Hi, I recently took some conifer cuttings ( cedar,...
Joshua Hughes
grape vine cuttings in summer?
I have to prune some grapevines which are too vigorous....
loewenzahn
Propagating Angel vine???
Is there a secret to starting a cutting from this awesone...
MauiDave
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™