Senior housing gardening jobs

lilaccity(z5NY)November 11, 2004

I have a small garden maint. business and am interested in offering a gardening service for seniors who are living independent in area retirement communities. Many seniors loved to garden but may not be able to physically tend a garden anymore. Residents are typically allowed to plant around their patio. I would also like to offer a container filling service( patio pots, window boxes or deck planters etc) Is anyone doing this and if so any tips you could share would be so appreciated. I was employed at one local community and my grandmother is living there currently. I know there are a number of residents that would utilize this service. Any ideas's on pricing (affordable yet profitable)? Thank you to anyone who responds!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
The_Mohave__Kid(Nevada)

I think it could be a place to make a few dollars ... I don't know if it will make enough to retire on though ...

I had a a senior client like yours once .. she would call once a season ... I would bring an assortment of annuals to fill pots and a bit of light pruning on some existing vines ... it was easy fun work ... I enjoyed here company as well ... I think if you had enough of those customers ... that is if you worked the area / market well it may make even better then a few dollars ...

Pricing though is your job ( don't pass the buck !! ) ... look at your own expenses and profit goals ... feel out the clients you have to get an idea of what the market price can be.

Make it happen.

Good Day ...

Bookmark   November 11, 2004 at 6:57PM
ginger_nh(z4 NH)

Hello! I remember you posted this same question last year. Did anything come of your venture that time around? Good, bad, indifferent? Or did you not pursue it at all this season?
Ginger

Bookmark   November 11, 2004 at 9:31PM
dabprop(z6 PA)

I work with a client that is a senior.I do exactly what you do and since she had knee surgery I weeded her small garden this past summer.Most seniors can pay only 12-18 dollars an hour I've found,so its mostly a labor of love.Leave some business cards with your family member you do work for and on bullentin boards in the center and church fellowships in area.
Jackie

Bookmark   November 21, 2004 at 1:33PM
MountainLandscaper(7)

I do alot of work in new and re-do landscapes in a senior manifactured home park.This is a new park.The older people always need work done,talk to mngmnt and leave your card on the bulliten board.I have gotten alot of good jobs there because your work is right out there for all to see and word of mouth is great.Don't think the older client has no money,alot of them use that ploy,but the $ is there and alot of it.They like to play broke,but when it comes to something they like or want ,the money flows.

Bookmark   December 15, 2004 at 12:16PM
back_yard_guy(z6 KS)

A good friend of mine is the grounds supervisor at a large retirement community. Some of the issues he deals with are humorous (to me) and probably fairly representative. Each dweller is sure that the others recieve better maintenance care then they do...more flower plants, more timely fertilizer applications, more frequent care, etc. Remember, many were once gardeners themselves, and their way was the only really right way! Plus, they keep calling to have issues resolved, when it appears all that they really wanted was somebody to visit with.

Bookmark   December 16, 2004 at 12:12PM
plantcompost

My favorite clients are seniors who were keen gardeners and no longer can do the physical labor. I learn a lot from them and get an incredible number of excellent referrals.

Bookmark   December 16, 2004 at 1:24PM
More Discussions
liners or plugs without a wholesalers licence?
I have a large garden and would like to purchase perennials...
forest_gardener
Design Software
My old company has asked me if I would like to be a...
Kirstin Larson
Rose planting
I recently purchased some knock out roses.Is it too...
denniswalsh
gravel not grass :(
I can not grow grass in my yard! since purchasing...
all your environment
RE: hiring help
I've been the sole gardener at an estate for 15+ years...
dlbk
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™