trumpet vine cuttings, what part is best?

jbclem(z9b Topanga, Ca)July 6, 2007

I am taking cuttings from a large old orange trumpet vine and haven't had much luck so far. Is it best to take pieces of older stems (vines) or younger green vines. Are the growing tips best, or should I cut from the center of a vine? Should I cut off the flowers but leave a few leafs, or just the cutting without leaves.

jc

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
origami_master(5b)

I think it might be easier to just dig out a sucker. I've sowed some seeds, and hopefully they will grow for me!

Bookmark   July 6, 2007 at 8:38PM
maidinmontana

I sowed some seeds as well, just Monday. I hope mine grow too. I saw a huge one in a neighborhood yesterday, it looked like a tree it was so big, the stems/branches were so big it looked like a tree trunk. I bought my mom one a few years ago and hers did really well, she moves and had to leave it so I don't know how it is doing now.

Jc if you are able to get a sucker or two dug up, I would send postage for a cutting if you are so inclined.

Bookmark   July 12, 2007 at 5:48PM
goldencreek(zone 5 b)

I would have to agree, a sucker is best, but if you dont have one available then root cuttings. It don't take much of a root. Hope this helps.

Bookmark   July 12, 2007 at 10:05PM
donnaz5(Z5 NY)

i take a branch , lay it down, scrape the bottom side with my fingernail, and cover it with dirt and a rock to keep it down..it roots well that way..after it has good roots, just cut it from the mother plant, donna

Bookmark   July 13, 2007 at 9:14PM
More Discussions
Plant Propagation, AHS
American Horticultural Society: Plant Propagation. Most...
Hermitian
Rooting hormone
Hormex is what we always had in the house, but I don't...
zensojourner
Grafting Black Walnut
Has anyone done this? I'm going to try this spring,...
terrycalhoun
Can Budwood be too small, or thin?
When grafting should I try to obtain close to pencil...
figbear (8b coastal carolina)
Israeli Ruscus from a bouquet
I have six stems of Israeli Ruscus from a bouquet;...
korbine
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™