Me too I want to start a tiny plant nursery

loewenzahnDecember 5, 2013

OK, I saw the thread below but I did not want to disturb that thread because there were very special questions asked.
Me too, I want to start a tiny nursery and sell plants several times a year in the fashion of a garage sale. Our nursery in town has closed, k-Mart as well and there is only the hardware shop which sells plants.
I have a nice collection of medicinal and culinary herbs in the garden and ornamental plants I could propagate from. This is actually the easy part. The winter here is not very cold here (up to minus 5 at night) that means I could take a lot of cuttings in early autumn, which might be ready in spring.
I will never understand why anyone would buy parsley, basil and lettuce in punnets, but I know people will ask for that.
The first big problem I see is timing. I would have to have all plants ready for sale at the same time and in early spring. I thought of building a manure bed to provide heat, but it still seems to be tricky, especially as these plants don't last very long in a pot.
As a gardener I am terrible in keeping records and I never know how many days a plant needs.
The next problem is to make a decent potting mixture without breaking the bank.
We have some outdoor nursery beds to raise out of old roofing sheets and I love them I find it is far better than any punnet, but in the end the plants have to go in pots.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
loewenzahn

BTW when I was a kid our local gardener sold lettuce not in punnets. It was a square of dirt wrapped in newspaper. I wonder how he did this, this would cut costs down and it is eco friendly, people here love this.

Bookmark   December 5, 2013 at 4:30AM
marcinde(7)

Instead of focusing on how cheaply you could do everything you should be focusing on how much do you want/need to make, what will costs (ALL the costs) of doing business be, and can you cover those.

Bookmark   December 10, 2013 at 10:20AM
jean001a(Portland OR 7b)

And investigate the need (requirement) for a business license/permit.

Bookmark   December 13, 2013 at 10:18PM
Krt1

i believe that if you are selling under a certain amount per year you do'nt need any permits. Just as having a garage sale does'nt need to have a business permit. There is a house on a major highway by me that sells potted plants(alot of them )ie; 300,@ 2 times per year. They have done this for at least the last 10 years and i say good for them. Uncle squander can't make do with what they have from u.s. so i say why would we try to give them more?

Bookmark   December 18, 2013 at 6:43PM
Krt1

i believe that if you are selling under a certain amount per year you do'nt need any permits. Just as having a garage sale does'nt need to have a business permit. There is a house on a major highway by me that sells potted plants(alot of them )ie; 300,@ 2 times per year. They have done this for at least the last 10 years and i say good for them. Uncle squander can't make do with what they have from u.s. so i say why would we try to give them more?

Bookmark   December 18, 2013 at 6:47PM
More Discussions
landscape designer wanted
i live in the San Fernando valley/Sherman Oaks. Looking...
nancy4435
Landscaper has business in residential neighborhood with HOA
I live in a neighborhood which does not allow you to...
diddlydoo
How to register my website DOMAIN name?
Greetings! I am just about ready to start building...
sweetpea_path
Being able to purchase plants wholesale
Hello, beside having a retail nursery - what other...
natalie4b
liners or plugs without a wholesalers licence?
I have a large garden and would like to purchase perennials...
forest_gardener
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™