Removing poplar roots from whole backyard

mcpeg(5a)December 28, 2007

Seeking advice from a professional landscaper or construction firm.

After removing 2 large poplar trees, there still remains very large, interwoven, roots throughout my backyard - some a good 2" or more in diameter, about 1 ft underground.

What is the best way to get rid of these? A tree stumper service is not practical due to cost. Who should I contact to bring in small equipment to remove the roots - rip them out and remove all root debris from my property?

I don't know where to start - what service should I be seeking? Construction? Landscapers? Other?

I would appreciate a response from someone in this business.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

The usual thing would be to grind or dig out the stumps and leave the roots to decompose where they are. Don't see how doing more than grinding the stumps out would cost less than just grinding the stumps out. How many stump grinding services did you talk to? Maybe you called one or two expensive ones and you can get it done more cheaply by several others. Often with all types of contracting those not thinking they need a particular job at the moment or that it might be a pain at any time will give a high estimate, figuring if they win the job they don't really need or want the extra compensation will be just that.

Or maybe you talked to outfits that only have truck-mounted rigs that always require a certain minimum fee. Here the work (stump grinding) may be done by a tree service, them perhaps going and renting a hand-operated stump grinder as needed if they aren't keeping one on hand. For less than enormous stumps such a machine may not be much bigger than a rotary tiller.

If you have a big project whoever you call is going to want to be paid enough to do the whole thing. To get a feel for what is fair market value talk to multiple services/contractors. Watch out for buried utilities if you start digging up roots, anyone doing this for you should have liability insurance adequate to pay for any surprises.

Bookmark   December 31, 2007 at 9:43PM
More Discussions
Rose planting
I recently purchased some knock out roses.Is it too...
denniswalsh
Need volunteers or another inexpensive method for seed production
I am running a very tiny seed operation that has recently...
amigoverde
Creative tips for raking gravel?
On walkways in formal garden setting have you found...
gata
Boxwood rejuvination
I have a job on an estate in Northern Virginia that...
beigestonehill
Advice on Starting a Garden Design and Consultation Business
Yes, I have read many start up advice posts on this...
alexmac13
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™