urgent - help rescuing ginkgo

aquafiend(6a)July 29, 2008

I have a small ginkgo (about 9 inches tall) with great sentimental significance - it was used in my wedding ceremony earlier this year. Until yesterday, I had it in a large pot on the back deck because it seemed to small and delicate for a permanent home in the ground. Yesterday when I went outside I found it on the ground, uproooted and chewed in half (!!). The stem had been separated from the roots about half an inch above the soil level by some animal.

I made a clean cut on both sides and attempted a whip and tongue graft. I bound the graft together using twine and replanted the whole thing in a small pot inside and covered it with a glass jar to keep the humidity up. I didn't use wax or anything else to seal over the twine because a) I didn't have any and b) the whole thing is in a humid environment. I also removed three leaves (out of six).

I have never grafted before so I have no idea if I did a good job. I did my best to align the cambium layers, but the stems were slightly different sizes because of the missing chunk so it's only really aligned on one side.

My question(s): I REALLY want to save this plant (for obvious reasons). Is this the best strategy? Would it be better to just try to root the stem? There are a couple of dormant buds on it.

Is there any way to encourage the roots to re-sprout?

Would it be worth burying the graft so that the stem has a chance to root OR take the graft? The graft is about a half inch above the original soil level, so it would mean burying the roots a couple of inches deeper.

thanks in advance for any help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
calistoga_al

I think your best chance is for the roots to activate the two dormant buds on the part remaining attached to the roots. I don't think the graft will take. Al

Bookmark   July 30, 2008 at 10:20AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
aquafiend(6a)

calistoga - Thanks for the response.

Unfortunately the dormant buds are attached to the (detached) stem, not the stump/roots. I probably wouldn't have bothered with the graft except that when I checked the stump part, I couldn't see any obvious buds or nodes. I had read that ginkgos are very hard to root so thought I would try for the graft just in case (even though it's the wrong season, etc.)

Is there anything I could do either to maximize the chances of the graft taking, or to maximize the chances of the roots spontaneously resprouting? Temperature / humidity / light levels?

Bookmark   July 30, 2008 at 2:55PM
More Discussions
Speed up Plant Propagation!
This will not be needed for most plant propagation...
hummersteve
How much light for cuttings?
How much light needs a bed for cuttings? If I put some...
loewenzahn
Royal Poinciana Tree Grafting (Delonix Regia, Flamboyant)
Anyone out there have any experience grafting the Royal...
nsboyd1210
Why do some daffodils never increase in numbers?
(This has been cross-posted.) I'm really confused with...
tete_a_tete
wanted cuttings for Weeping Willow for Postage
Will pay postage for some cuttings that will grow in...
happytomato2008
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™