PrairieFire Crabapple shoots?

bookjunky4life(5 Central IL)July 14, 2009

I have a nice Prairie Fire Crabapple near my office. It sends shoots off the roots that are near the surface. I got three or four starts yesterday that were on little roots that I could get that section of root and trim it down to one shoot. I have several relatives that want one if I can get them to grow. However, there are about 30 other shoots that are growing on roots that are too large to get out with a spade. The extra shoots I got of my three or four starts yesterday I put in some water just to see if they'd grow roots. They still looked good this morning, so I picked off the other thirty odd shoots that I couldn't dig up and put them in water. Any thoughts on if they might grow roots in water, or would I have better luck with rooting hormone and rooting mixture? They would have just been mowed over so I'm not out anything if they can't be rooted. They are anywhere from 1' to 2' tall.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
yiorges-z5il

These shoots will yeald plants like the root stock & NOT the prairefire crabapple.
You will have greater success using a hormone. It could take 6 months to get water roots
Use 0.3 to 0.8% IBA (Rooting hormone)

Bookmark   July 15, 2009 at 8:54AM
bookjunky4life(5 Central IL)

Are all Prairie Fire Crabapples grafted onto root stock, or are some 100% Prairie Fire Crabapple, so to speak? The sprouts sure resemble the Prairie Fire Crabapple with their red foliage.

Bookmark   July 15, 2009 at 11:01AM
bookjunky4life(5 Central IL)

Is there a way to determine if a tree has been grafted?

Bookmark   July 16, 2009 at 12:33PM
wildforager(5b-WI)

You should see a graft union if its been grafted and its not a really old tree. Its my experience that crabapples are not grafted, they are normally small in stature. As a matter of fact they are sometimes used as root stock for regular apples to dwarf a larger tree. Truthfully, I'm unfamiliar with the Prairie Fire Crabapple but there are many ornamental crabs along the streets in my town and none have been grafted.

-Little John

Bookmark   July 21, 2009 at 10:18PM
More Discussions
Avocado tree from a seed
If I cut the sprout of my avocado tree from the seed,...
ellen1818
Coleus Propagation/Pinching
Hi, Here are my new, first time growing from seeds,...
Cathy Cokley
Speed up Plant Propagation!
This will not be needed for most plant propagation...
hummersteve
Rooting hormone
Hormex is what we always had in the house, but I don't...
zensojourner
Clonex gel turned liquid
When my Clonex gel was about a year old and I went...
jbclem
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™