rooting media and other questions

spazzycat_1July 6, 2009

I've been taking cuttings of some herbaceous perennials (phlox divaricata, coreopsis, heliotropum, etc...). I dip the cuttings in root tone and stick them in a container filled with potting soil. Then, I cover the container with plastic and make sure that it stays in the shade. All the references say that in 7-10 days, I should see some root development. It is taking more like a six weeks or more.

Is that normal, or does my rooting media need to be a lighter mix? I would like to speed this process along a little.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cody_mi(z5 MI)

you might consider adding perlite to lighten your mix up. root developement doesn't mean completely rooted. in some cases it mean calluses. also different plants can take a longer or a shorter time to root. maybe they're in too much shade? do you have much rotting? if you've got the money to spend a intermittent mist prop set up will speed things along.

Bookmark   July 7, 2009 at 10:42AM
albert_135(Sunset 2 or 3)

Some perennials (I am not familiar with the names you mentioned.) will root better if started in late fall or winter. The books and manuals don't mention this often. If you continue to have unsatisfactory results try again in December.

Bookmark   July 7, 2009 at 3:44PM
capt44(Louisanna)

The simple way is to use course sand like they use in concrete.
In my rooting beds I put a 2 inch layer of small gravel and the rest course sand to make sure it drains well.
You can use this with a intermintent mist system or just place in a shady spot and keep damp.
When you use potting soil it can retain moisture and cause fungus problems at the stem
be sure and use a rooting compound.

Bookmark   July 13, 2009 at 12:30AM
More Discussions
wanted cuttings for Weeping Willow for Postage
Will pay postage for some cuttings that will grow in...
happytomato2008
Moisture retaining but inert media for layering?
Hi all, Been poking around the garden forums reading...
horti2791
Why do some daffodils never increase in numbers?
(This has been cross-posted.) I'm really confused with...
tete_a_tete
problem with carica papaya seedling survival
Hi I live in a temperate zone, have a large conservatory,...
marcyoung
Rootong Juniperus virginiana cuttings?
I need to root some Eastern Juniper or Eastern "Redcedar"...
treeguy123
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™