Shrubs with 'fast' regrowth for goat browse

skagit_goat_man_(WA)December 14, 2006

We've been fortunate to have very good pasture land at our current farm but we will be moving this summer. The new land is more suitable for growing and managing browse than grass. We are planning to grow browse rows approximatley 100' long with 10' between the rows. We'd like to be able to run the goats through these rows twice a season. The row grazing will be rotational and the animals will be limited to small sections at one time. My question is what type of shrubs have rank foliage and fast regrowth. We're planning on some rosa rogusa, empress tree, blackberry but what else would you recommend. This is a trial project and the plants that don't perform well will just be replaced with a new trial. We're in a zone 9 with high summer temperatures around 70 F.Tom

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
annebert(6b/7a MD)

Check out ECHO for suggestions. They do agricultural training for people doing development/missionary work and have a lot of information on tropical/subtropical crops.

Here is a link that might be useful: Educational Concerns for Hunger Organization

Bookmark   December 19, 2006 at 4:20PM
skagit_goat_man_(WA)

Anne, the areas they serve a way to tropical for here. But it is a great web site demonstrating that there are people out there doing good work for others. Thanks, Tom

Bookmark   December 20, 2006 at 8:10AM
bahia(SF Bay Area)

You will probably also want to cross reference plant choices with nutritional value for the goats. A couple of very fast growing things that I can think of right off the bat would include almost any willow species, Blackberry, Cornus stolonifera, to name a few.

Bookmark   December 21, 2006 at 4:46PM
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

Maybe willows, like Salix purpurea.

Bookmark   December 21, 2006 at 10:38PM
kkenj202_verizon_net

I was searching for fast regrowth and found this thread. What has been your experience?

Bookmark   June 28, 2011 at 10:48AM
More Discussions
Anyone can help with the type of this tree
Hi, Anyone can help with the type of this tree in my...
hamidrm
POS systems
I work at a nursery and the office manager asked me...
christinmk z5b eastern WA
Plant photography
I recently ran into this issue on a lilac site. Plants...
Sherwood Botsford
Please Please help me find....
HI all, I'm looking for a very dark green version of...
appsya
wilt pruf sprayed and froze on junipers
Hi all, I have a small garden in New York City. The...
happygardengirl
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™