Water-to-soil transplanting?

bruggoJuly 1, 2008

I have a 5yr old Night Blooming Cereus which has always been kept in water. It is about 30" tall with several branched leaves off the original leaf and one of the branches is a 15" long stem with one large leaf at the end. It fully bloomed only once about four years ago.

1)How should I transplant this to soil (what kind and how big a pot) without damaging the roots and root hairs?

2)The long stem has some short, rootlike tendrils extending from it. Does the stem need cutting back?

3)What kind of fertilizer (& how much) does this require?

4)Pls suggest a good reference for this plant type.

Thanks in advance, Bruggo in Gloucester, Ma.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
georgez5il(z5 IL)

The 'water roots" will not survive in soil SO>>>> Take a cutting at the point where the leaf narrows. allow to air dry then apply 0.1% IBA (Rooting hormone) stick in well drained soil ...keep soil damp not wet & no direct sun & little/no draft

Bookmark   July 1, 2008 at 5:00PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
calistoga_al

Besides taking a cutting as George suggests for insurance I would attempt the transplant to soil. I would cut back the foliage by about a third and shorten up the roots also. If you have Mycorrhizal fungi available I would sprinkle it on the roots. Hold the plant by the foliage suspended over a pot of the appropriate size and fill the pot with a good potting mix. Tamp the mix down to exclude excess air and set the pot in a bath of water until the surface glistens from the water. Take the pot out of the water and keep in a well lighted,but not sunny area for a week or two. Al

Bookmark   July 3, 2008 at 9:43AM
More Discussions
Rooting hormone
Hormex is what we always had in the house, but I don't...
zensojourner
Plant Propagation, AHS
American Horticultural Society: Plant Propagation. Most...
Hermitian
Can Budwood be too small, or thin?
When grafting should I try to obtain close to pencil...
figbear (8b coastal carolina)
'cloning machines' are they any good?
I've looked at some photos (on a website) that show...
tete_a_tete
Grafting Black Walnut
Has anyone done this? I'm going to try this spring,...
terrycalhoun
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™