Cutting sod into plugs OK?

greenguppyJuly 25, 2008

Im new at this... so please be patient...

I will be using a female cultivar of Buffalo grass for my new lawn. I prepared my soil elevation for seeding and can't afford full sod job anyway. I brought in several inches of new topsoil, "many" cubic feet of peat moss and soil ammendments, and a few pounds of water-wise additives. This has all been rototilled into the top 4 " of the existing clay soil.

Now I plan to install plugs of Legacy buffalo grass every 16". There is a local sod nursery with the Legacy variety and I was thinking of dividing their turf into smaller sections to use as the plugs to get started.

Is there any reason I cannot do this? Any special methods used to grow the online suppliers plugs that would stop me from cutting my own plugs from sod?

Also wondering if there are suggestions on how to treat my cuttings (right word ?), to encourage a strong start for my new lawn. I already have a lawn starter fertilizer I could add to my ammended soil... or perhaps it would be good to dip the new plugs in a starter solution?

Your help and input would be appreciated... Gup

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
greenguppy

The Utah sod farm no longer grows Buffalo grass - seems its not available here. So cutting my own plugs is a mute issue. Will be purchasing online, and relying on my soil prep to encourage strong early development. Thanks for input.... G

Bookmark   July 26, 2008 at 9:38AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
little_dani(9, S. Tex Coast)

We laid a small area of buffalo grass in our Native Plant Garden, as it is a Texas native. We have been astonished at the growth of this grass, and the beauty! It is gorgeous!

I am not sure what variety we have, but it has long runners. I am harvesting those runners and planting them along the back edge of my pond, as I want a grass embankment, to look more natural.

I am not familiar with conditions in Salt Lake City, Utah, but I would go easy on any additional fertilizer, if it were mine. We added nothing to ours, and the growth has been fantastic!

Good Luck!

Janie

Bookmark   July 30, 2008 at 10:07AM
More Discussions
Coleus Propagation/Pinching
Hi, Here are my new, first time growing from seeds,...
Cathy Cokley
wanted cuttings for Weeping Willow for Postage
Will pay postage for some cuttings that will grow in...
happytomato2008
Why do some daffodils never increase in numbers?
(This has been cross-posted.) I'm really confused with...
tete_a_tete
Trying to propagate for the first time
Propagating is completely new to me. I have an astilbe...
Amy Biondolillo
Coleus Propagation/Pinching
Hi, Here are my new, first time growing from seeds,...
Cathy Cokley
Sponsored Products
Plum Champagne Bucket - Tom Dixon
$290.00 | HORNE
Area Rug: Touch of Mosaic Ivory/Blue 5' x 7' 6"
Home Depot
Nourison Hand-tufted Barcelona Beige Rug (5'3 x 7'4)
Overstock.com
Wood Barstool
$99.99 | zulily
WMF 07.9389.9300 Perfect Plus 6.5 qt. / 3 qt. Stainless Steel Pressure Cooker Se
$256.00 | Hayneedle
Kandira Wall Sconce
Lightology
Cast Mini Jack by Tom Dixon
$70.00 | Lumens
Gourmet Apple 4-Pack Gift Set - SPRING
$55.00 | Horchow
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™