silver maple cuttings

timmahJuly 31, 2006

Im working on propagating a Northline maple. Its been 100 degrees here in minnesota for a few days, but im keeping them nice and fogged so hopefully theyll live through it. I took the cuttings late (one week ago) and i was wondering what should be done for overwintering them? I have small 3" pots to put each one in once theyve rooted. Is it common practice to transfer to a peat mix media after decent rooting has occured? How should i over winter them? thanks for any help.

Tim

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
eldo1960(8a)

Why don't you start over in the spring and not worry about overwintering the cuttings? They are not going to thrive over the winter, no matter what you do.

Bookmark   July 31, 2006 at 11:17PM
timmah

Actually, while doing research on these cuttings, I learned that they should be done in late june/early july. I did them in later july, so im not that far off of the mark. They still have a few months to develop a root system in the sand and possibly in the media mix if i decide that is the route to go. Would it make sence to just plant them in the ground after a decent root zone has been established and hope for the best over the winter? or take more drastic steps to ensure their survival?

Bookmark   August 1, 2006 at 9:09AM
eldo1960(8a)

Your first freeze comes awfully early that far north. Do you have any way to keep them indoors over your long winter?
If you took a number of cuttings, what if you planted half in the ground and tried keeping the other half alive indoors until planting time in the spring? I think it is important that they go in a good potting mix or into the ground as soon as possible. Sand is acceptable for rooting, but it is a poor medium for growing, even with supplemental fertilization.

Bookmark   August 9, 2006 at 10:48PM
More Discussions
problem with carica papaya seedling survival
Hi I live in a temperate zone, have a large conservatory,...
marcyoung
Grafting Black Walnut
Has anyone done this? I'm going to try this spring,...
terrycalhoun
wanted cuttings for Weeping Willow for Postage
Will pay postage for some cuttings that will grow in...
happytomato2008
Why do some daffodils never increase in numbers?
(This has been cross-posted.) I'm really confused with...
tete_a_tete
Royal Poinciana Tree Grafting (Delonix Regia, Flamboyant)
Anyone out there have any experience grafting the Royal...
nsboyd1210
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™