Creeping phlox propagation

pippi21(Z7 Silver Spring, Md.)July 13, 2011

Two days ago I dug up my one and only Emerald Blue creeping phlox. I planted 3 "hunks" on Monday, and put the rest in a bucket of water until I could get to it today. After planting it all out, I prunned it back lightly about 2 or 3 inches. Is there any reason that I can't take those short pieces, remove the bottom foliage, dip the stems into Rootone and pot them up in small pots? I figure if the cuttings take, I'll have more plants come late Fall to overwinter for next year's blooming season.

I saw where Bluestone has Emerald blue creeping phlox available Fall 2011. Has anyone had any experience ordering the plants and if they were successful in growing them? Usually creeping phlox are one of the first perennials to be put out in the garden centers, and if you don't get them within a few days when they are available..you're out of luck. For some reason I can't think of going to the garden center/nurseries for anything in Feb. when it's so cold. I have 2 1/2 in.and 3 1/2 in plus 4 in. nursery pots that I can use to start them in. I plan to keep them in shade as much as possible during this hot weather. It's 91 now, and I'm done working outside for today.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pippi21(Z7 Silver Spring, Md.)

We had almost an inch of rain this afternoon which was much needed and we had about 1/4 of an inch Monday night after I had transplanted the 3 large "hunks" of creeping phlox, so that will help them. I will watch them carefully and water them every day it doesn't rain. That bed doesn't get the hottest sun until mid afternoon.

Bookmark   July 14, 2011 at 12:36AM
More Discussions
Clonex gel turned liquid
When my Clonex gel was about a year old and I went...
jbclem
Source for berry cuttings
Hi, I'm having a hard time finding anywhere on the...
shaggyfrog
I'm Lazy--What can you root in plain old water???
Are there any perennials that you can just put in water...
love2weed
Can Budwood be too small, or thin?
When grafting should I try to obtain close to pencil...
figbear (8b coastal carolina)
Trying to propagate for the first time
Propagating is completely new to me. I have an astilbe...
Amy Biondolillo
Sponsored Products
Black & Burgundy La Vista Grommet Panel - Set of Two
$24.99 | zulily
Tea Bones Infuser
$9.49 | zulily
Straight Arrow Throw
| Dot & Bo
Black & Silver La Vista Grommet Panel - Set of Two
$24.99 | zulily
OJ Floor Lamp by Louis Poulsen
$1,010.00 | Lumens