sedum cuttings

daninthedirt(Cent TX; HZ10, Sunset z30, USDA z8a)July 14, 2013

Can someone point me to some good instructions for propagating sedum by cuttings? I snipped a couple of lower leaves of near the single stem of what looks to be creeping sedum, in a small pot, and stuck those in good potting soil. Kept it moist. Three weeks later, the leaves have rotted away, and I'm frankly not sure what has happened. I hope to see something green popping up from there those leaves were stuck in the soil, but my optimism may be fading.

If I had two stems, I'd just divide the plant. But I don't have that option.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mrunix(z8 FL)

Another thread with some good info:

Here is a link that might be useful: Sedum - How to take cuttings

Bookmark   July 14, 2013 at 4:41PM
brandon7 TN_zone(7)

In most cases, it's much harder to get sedum cuttings, or even whole leaves, not to root, than it is to be successful. They are so easy that you have to work to make it not work.

When I propagate sedums, I take cuttings, leave them laying out long enough to dry the cuts out well (at least 24 hours, more for larger cuttings), and then plant them in pretty much any decent well-draining potting soil. I water them lightly, once, and then forget about them for a while. Watering them often will only encourage rot.

It sounds like overwatering may have been the problem in the case above.

Bookmark   July 14, 2013 at 5:20PM
daninthedirt(Cent TX; HZ10, Sunset z30, USDA z8a)

Thanks. That makes a lot of sense. I kept the soil quite moist, and I even put a small plastic bag over the pot to seal in the humidity. So maybe I'll try it again with less aggressive hydration. I'll keep the original pot around.

Should I expect the leaf cutting, implanted in the soil, to shrivel up and die, or should I expect them to stay green?

Bookmark   July 14, 2013 at 5:28PM
brandon7 TN_zone(7)

I'd like to know more about how big these "leaf cuttings" are and exactly how the cuttings are made. Entire leaves of larger-leaved types root easily. Smaller-leaved types may require stem cuttings. In either case, the cutting will have to remain green to survive. A dead (brown) cutting is not going to grow.

Bookmark   July 14, 2013 at 6:29PM
daninthedirt(Cent TX; HZ10, Sunset z30, USDA z8a)

The leaves I was trying to root were about an inch and a half long. Stuck them halfway in the soil. Too small?

Bookmark   July 14, 2013 at 7:08PM
More Discussions
Can Budwood be too small, or thin?
When grafting should I try to obtain close to pencil...
figbear (8b coastal carolina)
Germination Chamber
I built this for my wife. The humidity is staying anywhere...
rsteph1000
Israeli Ruscus from a bouquet
I have six stems of Israeli Ruscus from a bouquet;...
korbine
Plant Propagation, AHS
American Horticultural Society: Plant Propagation. Most...
Hermitian
plant growth regulators
Hi all, just found this web site selling plant growth...
stoker128
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™